What breed to drop from an order

May 9, 2020
Clark County, KY
Have decided to reduce the number of baby chickens we’re ordering. Not fun like picking them out, but reality and chicken math sometimes collide. We have 35 now and are getting more eggs than we have customers for. So even though we were thinking originally of a smaller number around 25 we think it needs to be around 18-20.
I’m pretty well set that I want to keep the Amberlinks as they are solid layers and should lay through the winter decently. Also set on some Buff Orpingtons to be organic incubators to raise new chicks for second winter egglayers.
Black Minorcas for a few white eggs.
My conundrum is deciding between Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, and Dominiques
I’m kind of leaning towards dropping the RIR’s and BR’s, and keeping the Dominiques for a novelty breed.
What say y’all?

I mean, you're not breeding them, so keeping a less common breed for the novelty doesn't have much of a point except for your own enjoyment. I will say of the three breeds you're waffling between; the Dominiques laid the smallest eggs when I had them. The Barred Rocks and Rhode Island Reds laid larger ones. My Dominiques were also horrible about staying in their pen. I've decided it's a small and barred bird thing, as I have two Cuckoo Araucanas that do the same thing. lol

Have decided to reduce the number of baby chickens we’re ordering. Not fun like picking them out, but reality and chicken math sometimes collide. We have 35 now and are getting more eggs than we have customers for. So even though we were thinking originally of a smaller number around 25 we think it needs to be around 18-20.
I’m pretty well set that I want to keep the Amberlinks as they are solid layers and should lay through the winter decently. Also set on some Buff Orpingtons to be organic incubators to raise new chicks for second winter egglayers.
Black Minorcas for a few white eggs.
My conundrum is deciding between Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, and Dominiques
I’m kind of leaning towards dropping the RIR’s and BR’s, and keeping the Dominiques for a novelty breed.
What say y’all?
It depends on what you want from the chickens? Big and or frequently laid eggs? Calm or friendly personality?

I'm getting back into chickens after 30 years, have done a LOT of reading here. I wanted bantams that would breed true (no Easter Eggers), calm and friendly, and some eggs would be nice. My first batch were Speckled Sussex, latest are Dominique.

I have read that RIR aren't the friendliest, Dominiques and Barred Rocks much more so. I chose them more for their personalities than volume or size of eggs. That's what I wanted.

Back
Top Bottom