What breed to start with-Sustainable meat bird flock

Howdy, I'm new here. We have a small farm in Western NC and raise chickens, ducks, geese, dairy goats and one dear Jersey cow... I was just browsing the postings I saw "Real Men Can Cook" and saw that you raise Standard White Cornish. I have raised Dark Cornish for years and love them so much! I've looked a long time for White Standards and have never seen anyone with them. Do you sell them or know where I can purchase them? Thank you for any info!!! <><

Quote:
What you are describing in your needs for your flock are true heritage breeds, now !! many breeds are considered heritage but since the hatcheries got a hold of them and changed their breeding true heritage are hard to come by. For that reason you have to seek out a good breeder of WR's to insure a good line and save yourself all the hassle of not getting what you have been hoping for. Your looking for the birds your Grandma had, Hatcheries don't have those period..... and if you listen to the hatchery cult your wasting your time.

Look for a thread named large fowl heritage breeds or heritage large fowl or something like that, I will try and find it later for you. Anyway that thread is where true heritage breeders go to visit and discuss and trade and sell their birds. there are plenty of good contacts there and the OP is a renowned WR breeder and can certainly point you in the right direction for your area. The thread is a great source of info for exactly what your wanting to do, Hatchery folks don't go there cause they don't fit in LOL. You need not worry about cost as we are not talking about alot of $$ per bird.

Here is a look at my Hertiage SQ WR's.

AL

3' tall WR rooster.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/10364_img_0971.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/10364_img_0965.jpg

good meaty hen's that are thrifty and very tolerant of any conditions.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/10364_img_1008.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/10364_img_0983.jpg

Al, I believe you inadvertedly pictired a CX hen in the last picture.

Sgoff, at the shows I've attended, I noticed quite a few very nice Whte Rocks, especially in the youth division. It might be an excellent place to locate great breeding stock if you have any poultry shows within driving distance.

Quote:
That's a different story. You might look into Catalanas, Cubalayas, Black Penedesenca, Malay. All are heat hardy and dual purpose except Malay which are strictly meat and not great layers.
Cubalayas are one I'm planning on adding. They like heat and high humidity which is what I have now and probably you too.
I would also think Manx rumpies would be heat tolerant, they're one of the better foraging birds.

In my opinion almost all chickens love to forage.

I'm about 2 weeks away from butchering some nice size Blk Penedesenca roosters, I'll let you know how they taste. They're renown in Spain for flavor. They are excellent on free range and great at avoiding predators. They don't like humans but mine are beginning to tolerate me.

You might also think about growing your own hybrids. Like roos of one of the heat hardy meat or DP breeds above over some good egg laying breed.

The link I gave you has a couple of Malay breeders and Sandhill Preservation has all the other breeds. I hope to be selling Black Pene eggs and chicks this fall.

I haven't tried breeding the FRs. I got mine from Pennsylvania.

I don't know what they taste like but I do know that turkens are a big, heat tolerant bird. I used to have some when I lived in Lawton, OK. The naked gene is also dominant so you can develop your own flock with a cross to another breed if you like. They have less feathers, which seems to make them much more comfortable in hot weather.
I'm not much into making pets out of my chickens but mine were really laid back and friendly. A very likable breed, despite looks that only a mother could love.

So those are your eggs that I can't seem to keep the high bid on. ;-)
I hope you post more soon. Ive ordered some dark cornish but they are no where near what your white cornish birds are!
I see your located in Marion nc. I'm in Lillington.

Last edited:
This is an old thread but I thought I would share a project that I'm getting ready to start. Dorking over White Rock. Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom