what breed?

Chicken5555

Songster
Apr 10, 2016
somewhere in the Southern USA
A class at a school in my towns 'sister town' was studying embriology. Myself and one other person donated eggs for the project. Several hatched and the other person didn't want the chicks, so I was offered ALL of the ones that students did not take home. Of course I said yes lol.

Any idea on what breed(s) it could be??? Single comb, red/brown, gray spot on the head (like a marans or barred rock spot, but gray), yellow legs, feathered legs, and MUFFS!

I am suspicious that it *may* have come from my birds but if it did it would have to be the chickens pictured. The hen has given me red chicks before. Both are easter egger X Marans crosses. Both have lightly feathered legs and each carry one copy of straight comb.

If not from these two, what could it be???

Here is the chick in question.

The only other hens in the field at the time were 2 blue olive eggers (F1 crosses) and a couple of speckled Sussex hens. The teacher said she was sure that the red chick hatched from a green egg but there are 2 red chicks so she may have been mistaken (the other red chick does not have a spot on the head, has non-feathered legs and a pea comb). The two blue olive eggers have thrown chicks that look just like BC marans and blue copper marans (if that is even a breed?). They are half sisters to the splash hen above.

Last edited:
The only other hens in the field at the time were 2 blue olive eggers (F1 crosses) and a couple of speckled Sussex hens. The teacher said she was sure that the red chick hatched from a green egg but there are 2 red chicks so she may have been mistaken (the other red chick does not have a spot on the head, has non-feathered legs and a pea comb). The two blue olive eggers have thrown chicks that look just like BC marans and blue copper marans (if that is even a breed?). They are half sisters to the splash hen above.

I guess the determining factor would be if the chick lays colored eggs or fathers pullets that do.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom