What breed?

In this case, that doesn't mean much, because they have different comb types.

The one in back (darker feathers) has a pea comb. That makes the comb small, and usually also makes the wattles small. So even if they are the same gender, the one with a single comb would have a bigger comb and bigger wattles.

The one in front has much more red in the comb & wattles. That could mean the one in back (less red) is female, or it could mean the back one is a male that is developing slower.

You might have one Brahma (pea comb) and one Cochin (single comb) :confused:

Some chickens show really odd colors & patterns when they are young, before they grow the correct adult feathers. (And some always look odd, depending on how careless the hatchery has been in selecting their breeding stock.)

Here is an old thread with a photo of a Dark Brahma cockerel (first post):
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hen-or-roo-dark-brahma.685508/
At least to me, the coloring looks similar to the coloring of your darker chicken (the one with a pea/small comb).
Thanks. It'll definitely be interesting watching them get bigger and see what they turn out to be.

In this case, that doesn't mean much, because they have different comb types.

The one in back (darker feathers) has a pea comb. That makes the comb small, and usually also makes the wattles small. So even if they are the same gender, the one with a single comb would have a bigger comb and bigger wattles.

The one in front has much more red in the comb & wattles. That could mean the one in back (less red) is female, or it could mean the back one is a male that is developing slower.

You might have one Brahma (pea comb) and one Cochin (single comb) :confused:

Some chickens show really odd colors & patterns when they are young, before they grow the correct adult feathers. (And some always look odd, depending on how careless the hatchery has been in selecting their breeding stock.)

Here is an old thread with a photo of a Dark Brahma cockerel (first post):
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hen-or-roo-dark-brahma.685508/
At least to me, the coloring looks similar to the coloring of your darker chicken (the one with a pea/small comb).
Could the front one be possibly a silver laced cochin? I finally find a picture of a juvenile one and they look similar so maybe that's it? I do see how the back one looks like a Brahma juvenile roo.

Anyone know what breed this one is? It's the same age as the others but obviously a lot smaller in size. It isn't a bantam so either stunted growth or failure to thrive. It kept losing feathers on its back and is just now getting them back in. It's the size of 6-8 week old bantam chicks. It's a little dirty from us spraying the ground and it playing in the mud.

Attachments

• 20230821_211758.jpg
    20230821_211758.jpg
    396.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230821_211804.jpg
    20230821_211804.jpg
    328.9 KB · Views: 3
Could the front one be possibly a silver laced cochin? I finally find a picture of a juvenile one and they look similar so maybe that's it?
It might be. Juvenile feathers can be hard to tell.

Silver Laced is supposed to have black edges (lacing) on the feathers, with the center sections being silver (white). Your bird appears to have the opposite pattern, with white edges on black feathers. So I would not really expect it to be silver laced, but I suppose there is a chance, considering how odd some juvenile feathers can be.

Anyone know what breed this one is? It's the same age as the others but obviously a lot smaller in size. It isn't a bantam so either stunted growth or failure to thrive. It kept losing feathers on its back and is just now getting them back in. It's the size of 6-8 week old bantam chicks. It's a little dirty from us spraying the ground and it playing in the mud.
Hmm. Pea comb, some feathers on the feet, you might have a Brahma there. I'm not sure about the color (can't decide if I see some buff or some dirt.) Females do grow more slowly than males, so if the other two are males, that one might be a female. Or, as you suggest, it might be failure to thrive.

Back
Top Bottom