What breed?

What breed is #1? About 3ish months old. #2, do I have a set (roo and hen) Dark Brahmas?
First photo: maybe a White Laced Red Cornish? They are supposed to have single lacing, but sometimes hatcheries produce ones with double lacing or other not-right patterns.

Second photo: Brahmas are supposed to have pea combs. One of those birds has a single comb. So it is not a GOOD Brahma, and probably not a Brahma at all.

I could only get a picture of one. The other hid behind everyone else. These two are much bigger than the others the same age. They are almost taller than my silkies.
This bird has a single comb, which a Brahma should not have.
Maybe a Cochin? They do have feathered feet, and single combs, and can come in many colors.

I think I got them Atwoods so that would be Ideal I believe.

Maybe a Birchen Cochin bantam:
https://www.idealpoultry.com/product/1290/105

There is always a chance of chicks being mis-labeled by mistake (either human error, or chicks hopping into the wrong bin by themselves.) So even if you correctly remember what the bin said, the chick might have been a different kind.

First photo: maybe a White Laced Red Cornish? They are supposed to have single lacing, but sometimes hatcheries produce ones with double lacing or other not-right patterns.

Second photo: Brahmas are supposed to have pea combs. One of those birds has a single comb. So it is not a GOOD Brahma, and probably not a Brahma at all.

Maybe a Cochin? They do have feathered feet, and single combs, and can come in many colors.

There is always a chance of chicks being mis-labeled by mistake (either human error, or chicks hopping into the wrong bin by themselves.) So even if you correctly remember what the bin said, the chick might have been a different kind.
These aren't bantam at all. They are taller than my silkies. I have bantam cochins and they aren't that. I figured maybe Hatchery comb since they don't always care about that.

Only other picture I could get of one.

Attachments

• PSX_20230821_152716.jpg
    PSX_20230821_152716.jpg
    735.6 KB · Views: 5
These aren't bantam at all. They are taller than my silkies. I have bantam cochins and they aren't that. I figured maybe Hatchery comb since they don't always care about that.

Since Silkies are bantams too, I thought you meant these are larger bantams than the silkies are. But Cochins do come in both bantam and standard sizes, so it could still be a non-bantam Cochin.

Yes, it is possible to get a wrong comb from a hatchery bird, but it is fairly rare with pea comb breeds (like Brahmas). It is relatively common to get some single comb chicks from breeds that are supposed to have rose combs, because of the way the genetics of that particular comb type work.

Since Silkies are bantams too, I thought you meant these are larger bantams than the silkies are. But Cochins do come in both bantam and standard sizes, so it could still be a non-bantam Cochin.

Yes, it is possible to get a wrong comb from a hatchery bird, but it is fairly rare with pea comb breeds (like Brahmas). It is relatively common to get some single comb chicks from breeds that are supposed to have rose combs, because of the way the genetics of that particular comb type work.
These two as chicks looked identical to a dark brahma chick which is why I figured that what they were plus the bin labeling (I know they can be wrong). I was sure hoping for brahmas. Now I'm going to have to find a breeder.

Back
Top Bottom