What breed?

Sammers

Hatching
12 Years
Mar 25, 2007
HI all! I am very new to raising chickens....actually, I'm raising them by accident, but I have no idea what breed this is and need your help. I live in Pensacola, Florida, and we have had farrell chickens that roam our neighborhood for the last 5 years or so. They bother no one, and everyone saves their 'scraps' breads and stuff like that to feed them. Anyway, we love having them around but on Friday afternoon we saw a hen get run over by a car, and she had seven chicks that all still had egg tooths. (teeth) and I couldn't just let them die, so I'm raising the remaining six. I need help identifying their breed though, so any information you could give me will be very helpful.

Thank you.

Video of the rooster for these chicks...

Here's one of the chicks
DSC02862.jpg

DSC02861.jpg

DSC02860.jpg

I'm in no position to say with any certainty what kind of chick that is (though it looks like my Americauna chicks), but I have to say that rooster is GORGEOUS!!
ep.gif

And thank you so much for posting that video -having never had roosters around I've never seen the feeding behavior people have described. It's really neat to see!
pop.gif

I'm of no great help here except to offer an opinion that the chicks look a lot like my ameraucana chicks did at that age.
The rooster is beautiful!
smile.png

Best of luck with raising the cute peeps!

The chick does look like several of my Ameraucanas as well. The roo is lovely. Looks almost 'too perfect' to be an Ameraucana though? Perhaps a 'wild strain' of the breed? I'd be interested in seeing these chicks as they feather out. Good luck with your biddies! Keep us posted! They grow quickly!
wink.png

Definately Old English Gamebirds. My black breasted red oeg chicks all usually come striped like this. OEG blood has been added to alot of other breeds to increase health and hardiness and I have always wondered if that was the case with the ameraucanas since the majority of them that I have seen come colored in the various shades represented by the OEG. They are fun birds to raise and are about the best free range chickens to have. They can and will, as your story accounts, take care of themselves out in the wild. I would only caution that once you have taken in chicks and raised them, you will probably be hooked and soon you will be filling your yard with chickens of all sorts like the rest of us fanciers do...LOL.

Good luck w/ the peeps...

Hi, I totally agree with #4, they look like old english to me! I also want to commend you on adopting those babies. That's so nice to hear. I think it's nice that your neighborhood enjoys the chickens but I wish someone would build a pen for them so that they may stay safe from another being hit by a car. It would be great if everyone could contribute and build a nice giant pen and everyone can still come see them and feed them. Just a thought. Good luck with your new babies
wink.png
Julie
P.S. that roost is drop dead gorgeous!!

Back
Top Bottom