What breed?

The rooster is definetly NOT a Rhode Island Red!!!!! LOL for sure.
chickens^^, if you have a bird that looks like that, then you don't have a Rhode Island Red either! Those chicks are also not partridge or buff cochins...no feathered feet, buff cochins are NOT striped as chicks they are solid colored yellow. Sheesh!

It is either a Old English Game or a Key West chicken. Key Wests come in all kinds of colors from what I understand.

that's an oegb. i had one that would sleep in the trees at night. got to where his tail got really long. he was sooo pretty. i love those roosters.

Finally somebody else with feral chickens!
Here's a picture of my Hawaiian jungle rooster - looks alot your Key West bird:
DSC_1013.jpg

Sorry it's not such a good pic of the rooster, I was trying to get a picture of as many of the 6 chicks as I could.

Let me know if you have any questions because we are helping raise two batches of jungle-born chicks, who are about 5 and 7 weeks now.

I'm leaning towards OEG too. Definitely not Ameraucana - they are pea combed and this rooster is straight combed. He is very beautiful and cute chick too.

As for the chick color pattern...many chicks hatch this pattern due to a wild type gene - it doesn't mean it can be clumped in with ameraucana/easter egg chickens. You have to look at all features of a bird to determine breed...leg color, comb type, body structure, etc. A lot of breeds come in the same color, but there are differences that make them the breed they are.

Jody

The rooster in the video looks like a Red Junglefowl (thanks to Herechickchick for the link to the Hawaiian feral site). I did some more research last night and found a site showing pictures of the Red Junglefowl, and both the original poster as well as my own rooster (see picture above) look exactly like the ones on this website:
http://feathersite.com/Poultry/NDG/BRKRedJF.html

They say that this bird is the ancestor of all of today's domesticated chickens.

I think they are more gamebirds than anything - I found a discussion group who are more interested in the roosters than the hens. In fact, it was hard to find good pix of RJF hens
smile.png

Another interesting thing is that, despite all the crossbreeding over the millenia of domesticating chickens, the rooster RJF still looks amazingly the same. Perhaps that is why many of the above posters say their roosters look a lot like this one.

I'm glad I know what my rooster is. Now if I could just find the nests...

Back
Top Bottom