What breed?

pkeeler

Songster
11 Years
Jul 20, 2008
Shamong
I've been trying to figure these chicks (7 weeks now) out since they came. Every couple of days they seem to be something then a part of their anatomy rules it out. I even called the hatchery and they couldn't figure out what they sent me
lol.png

DSC_0045.jpg

DSC_0047.jpg

DSC_0064.jpg

DSC_0132.jpg

i'm not sure what breed you have but i wanted to say that i have 3 chicks that are 9 weeks old that look exactly like yours. they were sold to me as barred plymouth rocks and while i'm no chicken expert i don't think that's what they are.
big_smile.png

the black feathers have a green iridescent hue to them in the sunlight?

curious if anyone could identify yours becuase it would shed some light on what my girls are.

After I posted, I came across an ad for started red caps. They looked just like mine. What always threw me off red caps was the Murray web site which shows and talks about them being mostly brown with black spangling. These chicks are black with some brown poking through just recently. They have literally changed color every week
lol.png

Here is what I've thought they were:

Ameraucanas
Golden Penciled Hamburgs
Anconas
RC Brown Leghorns
Minorcas

But it seems they are Red Caps.

While they feather quickly and fly quickly, from what I gather, they don't mature for three years. Probably why the pictures at Feathersite and Murray don't look like these birds, but they will I guess.

hmmm, i got mine from the local feed & supply store. they only order a handful of the more popular breeds from the hatchery's so I doubt mine are red caps. but i suppose there could have been a mistake at the hatchery ...

i'm thinking mine are Ameraucanas
that would make the most sense.

thanks for the info!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom