What brooder can I do next?

Yeah I'm concerned he would harm them. He chases the squirrels and barks at every bird he has seen in our yard. We live in a trailer so yeah space is really limited. I will see how the stock tanks are on price/size or just get more tubs to hook together. Thanks

I was worried about our rottweiler at first too, but I let him spend time with them as they grew. He hates any kind of bird that flies into my yard, but he loves the chickens and the ducks. He protects them and hangs out with them as much as he can.
I will try to post some pics later.

I was worried about our rottweiler at first too, but I let him spend time with them as they grew. He hates any kind of bird that flies into my yard, but he loves the chickens and the ducks. He protects them and hangs out with them as much as he can.
I will try to post some pics later.
Yes, Honeybear used to catch quail when I'd take her for a walk but since we introduced her to our ducks from the beginning she knew not to hurt them.

Nope you def need to be concerned Dogs can move fast and one bite is all it will take.

I have a long table that my dog kennels sat on so mine were up off the floor I have 5 dogs. I used old window screens over the top to keep anyone from flying [chicks] out.

We had our brooder up on a table as well. Our pups were curious but didnt bother them. We let our 80lb dog sniff the ducklings when they 1st arrived and they nibbled on his nose...he got totally freaked out and kept his distance ever since, lol.
The dogs still do great with the ducks in their run but we don't let them loose together just to be safe. I wish we could let everyone play together but I just don't trust my dogs enough.
We had a 3'x3' cardboard box for our first brooder, lined it with a heavy plastic tablecloth and used zip ties to hold the tablecloth in place at the top of the box. Worked great but not really intended for more than one use. Needed a cover over top as they grew as well.
Best of luck with your babies :)

We had our brooder up on a table as well. Our pups were curious but didnt bother them. We let our 80lb dog sniff the ducklings when they 1st arrived and they nibbled on his nose...he got totally freaked out and kept his distance ever since, lol.
The dogs still do great with the ducks in their run but we don't let them loose together just to be safe. I wish we could let everyone play together but I just don't trust my dogs enough.
We had a 3'x3' cardboard box for our first brooder, lined it with a heavy plastic tablecloth and used zip ties to hold the tablecloth in place at the top of the box. Worked great but not really intended for more than one use. Needed a cover over top as they grew as well.
Best of luck with your babies :)
My neighbor has a German short hair pointer (aka bird dog) and he was terrified of her ducks! :lau

They are getting pretty big. This one is the smallest of them all by alot.View attachment 1702606

You will definitely need more brooder space. In terms of going outdoors, once they have pretty much all adult feathers instead of fuzz they are much better at regulating their body temperature. You can take outdoor field trips with them starting at the warmest part of the day on the warmest day of the week. When they stop being active and exploring and either lay down or shiver it's time to go back inside with the heat. Eventually they will be able to be out longer and longer.

This little one that you said is smallest looks like a khaki campbell. Full grown females are only 3-4 lbs. Mine are smaller than some of my chickens. The yellow ones are likely pekins which full grown will be 2-3 times the weight of the KCs (depending on the line they come from), so I wouldn't worry too much about the little one as long as she acts the same as the rest and gets feathers at the same rate as the rest.

Heres a pic from late last summer. My rottweiler under the truck and the ducks are laying right behind him. You can make out a duck tail sticking up at his lower back.
20190316_141013.jpg

And this was him in the coop today
20190316_152738.jpg

This was yesterday. We went for a walk in the woods and they took their body guard.

For me it took patience and a watchful eye, but use your instincts. If you feel like he is gonna do something to them, then trust your gut.

Back
Top Bottom