What can I feed Chickens????

plester01

Songster
12 Years
Jul 23, 2007
Foreman,AR
I just ran out of feed for my chickens and I do not get paid untill Friday. What suggestions can anyone give me as to what I can feed them untill I can get some more feed. Leftovers, ect.

Any good leftovers nothing that has mold and has sat tooo long. Bread, cat food, most any veggie frozen or canned, cooked meats that have been chopped up, fruits like apples, cooked oatmeal and rice, they won't be picky til Friday!! And if you can free range around your yard that will help alot!!

Commercial fried chicken is awfully greasy and SALTY for chickens (they are small critters and don't tolerate lotsa salt well at all). Some people say don't feed citrus to chickens but I honestly do not know why.

Also there are a lot more economical things to feed 'em than chicken and oranges
wink.png
Rice, corn, oatmeal, cornbread, produce-counter scratch-and-dent veggies and fruits. I wouldn't do this sort of thing for very long or you'll end up with malnutrition issues but for a short while you'll be fine. Try to avoid feeding too much of just one thing -- variety is safer.

Take a look at the Treats Chart https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart for things they can and can't (i.e. shouldn't) eat.

Good luck,

Pat

thanks for all your help. I have plenty of good leftovers and some other things lying around that I can cook for them. I bet they will wish I would run out of feed more often. I have given them treats from time to time before. I have given them cooked oatmeal, pomagranits, watermelon, pumkins, ect. But I need to give more than just treats for a few days and wanted to be careful what I gave them. Thanks again.

I'm sure you have several boxes of cereal with crumbs in the bottom that you haven't thrown out yet;) And crackers. Cook up some rice, oatmeal or pasta just to get them through til Friday. Got any old veggies/fruits in the freezer you can nook up? I hope this helps a little. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom