What can you tell me about Finches?

Quote:
Yes, I am upto 14 now. Some eggs will get pushed out of the nest though. Ive been feeding some eggs to my pet rats and you can also boil them and crush em shell and all and feed them back to the birds.

When I had finches I got an egg every other day for nearly 2 years. They were not the best parents though. Only managed to hatch 3 or 4 and only raised 2.

Imp

Let me put it this way.... We started with 4 pairs and a few months later, we had 30+ birds. Yes.... they're like rats/rabbits.
lol.png

I had finches years ago. I started with a pair and ended up with 8 at the highest count. I was very careful to remove eggs, but they got wise to me and started hiding the eggs thus the new additions. Near the end I had 2 females left and I wasn't so careful about removing eggs. I cleaned their cage one day and found over 20 eggs hidden in various places.

I liked my finches, but they were a disaster. Dirty, dirty, dirty. They scattered debris in a 6 foot perimeter around their cage. I couldn't tolerate the mess in my house. It was nice hearing them sing... except when it started at 4 am during the summer. They're sweet, though. Your kids are going to love them.

My finches have surprisingly not been very productive. It's been quite a while since they've laid their last eggs. So it just depends I guess. But, as far as finches go, Zebras and Societies are the rabbits of the finch world, in general. But there's exceptions to every case I guess. lol

Yes. They can be cronic egg layers. If you keep taking the eggs they'll keep replacing them. Try taking a very fine needle and pierce the eggs...they'll dry out. In the mean time...they'll keep setting on them and will stop laying new ones. Just think of it as birdie birth control. They can tend to be a little on the messy side. Some make better parents than others. Good Luck. Keep us posted.

Congrats on your additions! I have 4 zebra finches but i seperated the females from the males and I aslo have one breeding pair they hatched out 5 didn't take care of them and then they hatched 2 both weaned now and now she is sitting 9 eggs. I was going to seperate them but they started laying before the babies were weaned. Good luck with your babies

I got a trio off of Freecycle. Used to raise lots of different types of finches way back and thought it would be nice to have them again. I really like them and they have had a few babies but only have raised two in a year. I just let them have their eggs...she sits but they dont hatch. My male must be "shooting blanks" now...5 finches are plenty...
lol.png
I want to make an aviary outdoors for them this summer. Terri O in WI

Back
Top Bottom