What can you tell me about these silkies?

MESOFRUFFEH

Songster
5 Years
Sep 15, 2015
East Texas
I know absolutely nothing about silkies. I wasn't really sure where to post this so I posted it here.

These are my first two silkies and I just got them last weekend. The smaller one seems to be a different color than the larger one, but I haven't had much luck figuring out what color he or she technically is. Also are these guys bearded or not? I dont even know what I'm looking for! I know it's not really possible to sex silkies at this age but if that bigger one (Peanut Butter is what I named him/her lol) is not a cockerel then I'll eat a chicken turd because he definitely acts like one!!
Any tips.or suggestions for sexing silkies? Can anyone tell me what color the smaller one is and if they are bearded or not?

Thanks, she is a cutie! We will definitely get more silkies in the future.

I'd say hold them as much as you can.

I really hope mine look like that when they get big, I love all the fluff. They almost don't even look like chickens. Do you ever fluff her any or is she just naturally fabulous? lol I feel like mine are going through that awkward stage right now, they remind me of ostriches lol! Their little booties are so floofy tho!

I would say a buff, and a partridge - without a pear tree
gig.gif
Nice black skin . Can't see well enough to notice if beards or not. The photos wouldn't enlarge for me.

Please don't eat a t--d not worth it
sickbyc.gif

I would say a buff, and a partridge - without a pear tree
gig.gif
Nice black skin . Can't see well enough to notice if beards or not. The photos wouldn't enlarge for me.

Please don't eat a t--d not worth it
sickbyc.gif
yuckyuck.gif

LOL! Ok I won't eat a chicken poo!! I uploaded these from my phone so maybe thats why the pics are small? I will take some better pics tonight, like I said, I know ziltch about silkies. I should have asked to see their parents while I was at that guys house, but I was too busy looking at all the other awesome breeds he had lol. I just wasn't sure if they were going to be the super fluffy ones, which I was hoping for, or the ones that don't look as fluffy.

I am assuming this is not bearded?

and this IS bearded?

Sorry please excuse my ignorance!!! Just trying to learn more! I was hoping for little fluff balls!! But if they aren't I still love them
love.gif

I have been trying to hold them for 10-20 minutes each night and they are currently in my old bunny cage in the living room lol, I really would like them to be more of a pet than the other chickens, and probably keep them in a smaller pen with my two chickens that have leg issues. Any suggestions for "taming" them more, to not be scared and love to come hang out with you? Gonna get some mealworms tonight, would like to start my own colony and I was hoping that would help my cause some!!

:yuckyuck LOL! Ok I won't eat a chicken poo!! I uploaded these from my phone so maybe thats why the pics are small? I will take some better pics tonight, like I said, I know ziltch about silkies. I should have asked to see their parents while I was at that guys house, but I was too busy looking at all the other awesome breeds he had lol. I just wasn't sure if they were going to be the super fluffy ones, which I was hoping for, or the ones that don't look as fluffy. I am assuming this is not bearded? and this IS bearded? Sorry please excuse my ignorance!!! Just trying to learn more! I was hoping for little fluff balls!! But if they aren't I still love them :love I have been trying to hold them for 10-20 minutes each night and they are currently in my old bunny cage in the living room lol, I really would like them to be more of a pet than the other chickens, and probably keep them in a smaller pen with my two chickens that have leg issues. Any suggestions for "taming" them more, to not be scared and love to come hang out with you? Gonna get some mealworms tonight, would like to start my own colony and I was hoping that would help my cause some!!
I bought two silkies in May, one was for my niece. She has held and snuggled that chick for hours and hours. You can definitely tell the high tolerance level for snuggling with that chick. Here she is, her name is Tetley. And she has a beard.

Last edited:
I bought two silkies in May, one was for my niece. She has held and snuggled that chick for hours and hours. You can definitely tell the high tolerance level for snuggling with that chick. Here she is, her name is Tetley. And she has a beard.
She is so cute!!!! I wish I had have been able to get them as day old chicks, but I think they are several weeks old now. Maybe its not too late to make cuddlers out of them!!

Back
Top Bottom