What causes the price change in windows and other building supplies?

reveriereptile

Songster
11 Years
Mar 17, 2008
Northern NY
My husband and me have slowly been building a house since last year. With a new baby that was a preemie and other set backs it slowed us up. We are paying out of pocket for as much as we can. We would rather not take out a loan if possible. We do have the main frame, walls, and foundation up. We also did find a huge deal on someone selling new very large triple pane Anderson windows.

We weren't ready for windows when we had started but I looked at the prices mid summer and they were $128 each on Lowes website. By October up till a few days ago they were $139 each. I just checked again cause we have some money coming in soon and were thinking of ordering them. The price jumped up to $145 each now.

Is there a time to by the windows cheaper? I'm assuming they do seasonal price changes or based on window production. I thought the price would be coming down since it is getting closer to spring and more people will be buying.

I noticed other price increases on Lowes site for tile and other things. I'm hoping the prices will decrease but we are wanting to do the windows so we can start running the wire and plumbing.

The prices will be cheaper September to the middle of October. Right now is the start of everyones building season so unless you are buying in bulk the prices will be higher. Most lumber yards are on a fiscal year for taxes not an actual year and have to pay taxes on inventory. The fiscal year usually starts November 1st hence the reduction of inventory by the end of October. I would look to see if there are any Habitat for Humanity stores near you or adds from contractors on craigslist.org. Both places have new overstock and used or "reclaimed" items for low cost. Also, if you have a scratch and dent building supply store that will save you a lot of money. For windows it could be that the style is out of season or there is a dent in the paint on the frame but the window itself is sound. It would be worth $50 saving to have to touch up a spot of paint. Get to know the manager at your local Lowe's. If it is on a discount rack at Lowe's and you are willing to buy more then one thing on that rack many times speaking to the manager can save you even more then what the clearance sticker says. I have a friend that got those round cup like chandeliers for $100 less then what the sale price was because there were small dents in the top of them. She bought 3 for $30 total. You don't see the dents when they are hanging.

Thanks for the information. I may have to call around for other prices then.

We still have a lot to do on the house this summer. Can't wait to move into it though.

This is the back side of the house while the outside was still being worked on. The back end will have 4 sets of sliding glass doors and 4 very large windows above them. Half of it is all open with our bedroom, walk in closet(nursery till our son is older), and master bathroom in the upstairs front.

Sure did. Prices of everything are skyrocketing here. Our gas prices are even going up again and they claim it's because they are changing over to our summer type gas already which costs more. Summer blend = MIDDLE OF WINTER IN February? And they expect us to believe this crap they spew out of Sacramento. The insane clown posse is running this state be thankful you live where you do.

Back
Top Bottom