What chicken is this??! I must have it. Its perfection!

As I said, I don't know this breed other than it looks to my eye like a Modern Game. I am not the OP, simply supporting Sonoran Silkies post that it looks purebred to them. We know nothing of the origin of this photo, country of origin included, how it was taken, if filters were used or even if it was photoshopped to alter coloration.

Here is an award winning Lemon Blue from England. The skin may be called Mulberry, but it sure looks pretty dark. Could it look black under the correct lighting or polarization? I submit yes. It also what looks like lacing extending down the chest although I could be wrong. http://www.slimshader.co.uk/mgclubshow07.html

And here is an award winning Brown Red. Skin looks pretty dark to my eye and there appears to be lacing down the front. http://www.slimshader.co.uk/national2011.html Is it Black skin and true lacing? Beats me. Just to my eye the OPs bird original photo is not inconsistent with it being a purebred Modern from England. Am I saying it is for sure? No way. Am I saying that we should not rule it out based on the 'research'? I guess I am unless more data comes to light.

I hope you are not upset by the post, it is not intended to be a negative one. I am trying to learn more about this breed and present more data before jumping to conclusions. In particular, it seems like many times I see folks saying a chicken is a mutt or can't be a certain breed when the bird is from a far away land with different breed standards. Just sayin'.

I hope the OP will come back and tell us more information about the origin of the photo--it really is a stunning bird.

No I'm not offended at all, but I still think it is probably more fruitful to post the picture over in the Breeds forum to get a definitive answer, rather than just back and forth speculation.

I thought it ws lovely too! and new id seen one somewhere, and was surfing through my old poultry magazeens. it is a modern gme, you do get black skined ones! i would put up a photo of the bird in the mag but dont know how to upload pics. but this one ws showed by a guy named David Hall, if thats any help

i think i know what it is!!! a birchen modern game, this is just a silver one...
007-2.jpg

According to the standard Brown Red and Birchen modern games should have gypsy faces. This is not a black skinned bird it just has a lot of melanisers in it's skin that cause the gypsy (or mulberry) in the face. There are a lot of Modern games cockerels with red faces but the ideal is that they have dark faces (but still have yellow skin).

Back
Top Bottom