What chickens can live in a hot environment?

Silver Sebright

Songster
5 Years
Apr 19, 2014
Florida
Me and my Dad are looking to get new exotic types of chickens and we want to make sure that they can live in a hot environment like Florida. Do you any of you guys know some chickens that would be easy to raise in this kind of environment.

Catalanas, Minorcas and Turkens and Egyptian Fayoumis are some of the most heat-hardy chickens you can get. The Fayoumi breed was largely developed in a hot, wet, humid climate and is known to be naturally resistant to some bacterias and viruses.

A critical factor is set-up though. Even the most heat hardy chicken breeds won't do well without plenty of shade and water. :)

Hmmm... Do you know a good website or company that sells those types of chickens?

Hmmm... Do you know a good website or company that sells those types of chickens?
I was recommended Cackle Hatchery for Naked Neck Turkens if your interested in them, heard they had the best from a hatchery. They might not be 'exotic' but they sure look it lol, hardly anybody has them where I live.
Once you get used to the look, they are the most beautiful, and the chicks, super cute.
Do excellent in hot climates and cold.
Lay great and make a good meat bird.

Exotic and heat tolerant?
Have you considered an Asil?
images

This breed fascinates me. Though I'd recommend them for the experienced poultry person.

I was recommended Cackle Hatchery for Naked Neck Turkens if your interested in them, heard they had the best from a hatchery. They might not be 'exotic' but they sure look it lol, hardly anybody has them where I live.
Once you get used to the look, they are the most beautiful, and the chicks, super cute.
Do excellent in hot climates and cold.
Lay great and make a good meat bird.

Oh, Thank you for the feedback :)

Thanks for the feedback :) We have a few naked necks atm and you are right they do really well in the heat and are really good layers.
Ha! You posted that just before I commented.
I wouldn't consider what she has exotic but I've heard good things on her birds, Eight Acres Farm in Gainesville Florida. She's on BYC.
Some of the perttiest German New Hampshire's also Blue laced red Wyandotte, and a few others.

Back
Top Bottom