what clues are there to know when a chicken is going to start laying eggs

so I don't see any comments on clues about when a pullet is about to start laying eggs. One of my has had a sudden increase (over 2 days) in the size of her comb. Could that be a signal??

I noticed a week ago that q of my girls combs start growing and becoming red. Tuesday we put in our nesting box and added fake eggs that i got around easter time.. i checked the boxes this morning and wouldnt you know, i found 2 eggs... so exciting!

Out of curiosity, I have hens laying in a five-gallon bucket on my back porch. I have one pullet hitting POL this month (her vent looks like she could be laying, but it's not as open "enough" for me to say she's laying) ... Anyway, the hens that are already laying monopolize the bucket pretty much all day long (to the point where sometimes one of them finds an alternative laying spot on the porch). I have a very quiet hen who lays behind the shed under the wading pool beside the lawn mower; I don't expect her to lay with that hen, she doesn't hang out with her much and if you're not right on top of her, you don't hear her singing the egg song.
My question is would this pullet start laying way out in the yard or woods, or is she likely to lay on the porch with the other (loud mouth) girls?
What about her laying with the Banty in the nursery pot behind the shed?

What do you think? Any advice or suggestions, etc.?

Thanks!!! =D

my girls are all 23 weeks old - Americaunas (I am told). I'm eager to see the blue eggs! I've had them since they were about 10 weeks old

Out of curiosity, I have hens laying in a five-gallon bucket on my back porch.  I have one pullet hitting POL this month (her vent looks like she could be laying, but it's not as open "enough" for me to say she's laying) ...  Anyway, the hens that are already laying monopolize the bucket pretty much all day long (to the point where sometimes one of them finds an alternative laying spot on the porch).  I have a very quiet hen who lays behind the shed under the wading pool beside the lawn mower; I don't expect her to lay with that hen, she doesn't hang out with her much and if you're not right on top of her, you don't hear her singing the egg song.
My question is would this pullet start laying way out in the yard or woods, or is she likely to lay on the porch with the other (loud mouth) girls?
What about her laying with the Banty in the nursery pot behind the shed?

What do you think?  Any advice or suggestions, etc.?

Thanks!!! =D
how many hens do you have? Sounds like you need more nest boxes. Minimum is two nest boxes, more if you have more than 8 hens.

My chickens don't need a nest, they lay whether there's a nest or not. Sometimes they lay in the nest, sometimes it's in the middle of the pen, or just wherever. A nest is more for our convenience than the chicken's. Sometimes a young hen who has never layed, will sit on a nest or the ground off and on because she knows something is about to happen and doesn't really know what to do. They soon learn.

Back
Top Bottom