what clues are there to know when a chicken is going to start laying eggs

Oh, cool!  Ya learn something new everyday. =D  I didn't know Leghorns could frizzle. ;-)
I like the way you Aussies do things!!!  Frizzles should be a breed to themselves. :thumbsup   They're a variety of feathering in other breeds.
Thanks =)

Congrats!!!  Good move taking a picture; I didn't get a pic of my first egg. =(
But I got a pic of my favorite chicken's first egg. =)
I still have my first dog's baby teeth too!

Fluff is the one on the left. Yesterday we got 2 white eggs, so i think both my leghorn girls laid yesterday.. today we got our first brown egg!
ya.gif

So I guess Fluff is laying now, or someone laid twice which very rare, but I'd go with the former. I got confused on which one was Fluff because someone said one looked like a rooster, which would be the back one. Getting eggs is great, but getting more colors is even better!
I completely agree!!! =D

I had a Leghorn lay twice on the same day; once very early and once very late in the day. It is rare, but Leghorns are more likely than most breeds to do that (my sex-links will never lay me two eggs on the same day, for instance).

Whoo hoo! My girls listened! The 22 week old EE laid her first egg yesterday! I am expecting the others to follow shortly. It was a very small egg compared to the grocery store eggs, but it was nicely shaped and had a firm shell. AND IT WAS GREEN!!!!! AND she laid it in the nesting boxes (smart chickens)! I will post pics on Monday.
woot.gif

I'm expecting some green egg layers next year.

Is my hen ready to lay?

Looks like she's getting there, but I wouldn't say that she's already laying. (I don't think you've missed any eggs, if you free range, for instance.)
If she's squatting, it should be very soon. (like a week or so)
You can also check her vent to see if she's laying yet. Moist and open = laying hen; that's not to say that a pullet's vent is describably dry or closed. If you have a hen that you know is laying, then I would say compare the two.

Easiest way to build a nesting box is this: get an 18 gallon plastic storage tote with lid ($7); looking at the long side of tote, cut a hole in side towards one end. The hole should be the size of a sheet of notebook paper . there should be an inch or so of area left below the hole so bedding material wont fall out. The bedding material should be straw or pine shavings . Set the box in the pen where the bottom of the hole will be 16"to 20" off the ground.. This should do fine.
thumbsup.gif
goodpost.gif

and
welcome-byc.gif

Quote: Yes the gene is dominant.
When you cross a Frizzle with a non Frizzle you get half and half.
It is advised that you DON'T breed two frizzled birds together as the offspring can die early on, have poor health and their feathers are brittle and will fall out.

I am not sure how the Frizzle breeders over here get a "pure frizzle" with out crossing two frizzles. I think it is the right mix of Polish and Pekin or something.lol.

Quote:
This.

T
These are my two Frizzles.

What does "frizzle" mean?

Yes the gene is dominant.
When you cross a Frizzle with a non Frizzle you get half and half.
It is advised that you DON'T breed two frizzled birds together as the offspring can die early on, have poor health and their feathers are brittle and will fall out.

I am not sure how the Frizzle breeders over here get a "pure frizzle" with out crossing two frizzles. I think it is the right mix of Polish and Pekin or something.lol.
Thanks for the advice on the Frazzles.
I bet there's someone on BYC who knows what the "right mix" is of Polish and Pekin to get a frizzle. =)

This.

T
These are my two Frizzles.

Back
Top Bottom