what clues are there to know when a chicken is going to start laying eggs

There comb gets big and red and the roosters will start to dance for the hens and there voice will change they will be in the middle and will sound like an horn and so your chickens start honking they are not sick

Both of my girls stop and squat as I come toward them. They kind of lift up their wings as they do it, and when the older one did that, I thought it was because she wanted a better scratch. But the younger doesn't like to be scratched by me and now she's doing this. Is that the squatting a sign of laying soon? They're estimated to be 19 and 20 weeks old. They're RIR's.

Both of my girls stop and squat as I come toward them. They kind of lift up their wings as they do it, and when the older one did that, I thought it was because she wanted a better scratch. But the younger doesn't like to be scratched by me and now she's doing this. Is that the squatting a sign of laying soon? They're estimated to be 19 and 20 weeks old. They're RIR's.
submissive and flirtatious move and with happy feet no doubt.

It is a sign of a maturing pullet, yes, listen to the voices, no more peep peeps, a new song indicates laying soon--well maybe a week or 2. The stooping is also an instinctive posture, as the cockerel or rooster approaches to mate. No roosters.--still instinct for approach of "they do not know what', and it protects them from the heavy weight of the cock. Good time to gently pet or pick up your pullet, can keep them tame. Yes, eggs pretty soon--is the nest box ready and inviting? Good luck..

It is a sign of a maturing pullet, yes, listen to the voices, no more peep peeps, a new song indicates laying soon--well maybe a week or 2. The stooping is also an instinctive posture, as the cockerel or rooster approaches to mate. No roosters.--still instinct for approach of "they do not know what', and it protects them from the heavy weight of the cock. Good time to gently pet or pick up your pullet, can keep them tame. Yes, eggs pretty soon--is the nest box ready and inviting? Good luck..
Thank you. Yes, the nesting box is ready with new bedding and herbs. It's been really hot, so I freeze water in a soda bottle and put it in there each morning wrapped in towel. There are two wooden eggs in there. Do I leave those in until they lay?

They've become pretty vocal, especially when they see me outside the run and they're also more chatty when free ranging (which they won't do unless I'm outside with them). The slightly older one has enjoyed getting petted and scratched for a while. Last night, I was finally able to give the younger one some good back scratches when they were up in the coop. It was the first time she's really let me do that without being skittish.

Hi, I leave the wooden fake eggs in nest boxes continuously. Way back in 1990 I tried filling plastic eggs with plaster of paris and glued them shut with crazy glue. I did it to give the eggs weight and the glue had to set up longer than expected. It was ok but later switched to wooden eggs. Now adays I use plastic Easter eggs to fill with water for my incubators. The eggs fit beautifully in the egg cradles and work well.
I am so glad for you that your chickens trust and like you. They are doing their happy dance.

Hi, I leave the wooden fake eggs in nest boxes continuously. Way back in 1990 I tried filling plastic eggs with plaster of paris and glued them shut with crazy glue. I did it to give the eggs weight and the glue had to set up longer than expected. It was ok but later switched to wooden eggs. Now adays I use plastic Easter eggs to fill with water for my incubators. The eggs fit beautifully in the egg cradles and work well.
I am so glad for you that your chickens trust and like you. They are doing their happy dance.
Thanks! We're not allowed to have roosters in city limits and the local feed store doesn't allow you to return chicks (which explains the occasional feral roosters) but I didn't want to do that. Getting sexed pullets was safe, but I knew it might be more challenging to tame them. They used to freak out every time I went into their run. For a long time, I'd just sit there and not do anything and then gradually started feeding them out of my hand. Still, when I moved toward them they'd get all frantic. I was somewhat resigned to just be their caretaker, but I'm thrilled they're getting so more comfortable with me.

Thanks! We're not allowed to have roosters in city limits and the local feed store doesn't allow you to return chicks (which explains the occasional feral roosters) but I didn't want to do that. Getting sexed pullets was safe, but I knew it might be more challenging to tame them. They used to freak out every time I went into their run. For a long time, I'd just sit there and not do anything and then gradually started feeding them out of my hand. Still, when I moved toward them they'd get all frantic. I was somewhat resigned to just be their caretaker, but I'm thrilled they're getting so more comfortable with me. 

Soon enough they will be following you around and getting underfoot and you will love every minute of it. They will be cooing, peeping, and clucking with joy, sounding like a cocktail party as you walk towards them with snacks.

I found two eggs today!!! They are kinda small but seem to be just perfect! So very cool.

Minty (Black Austrolorp - 20 weeks and 2 days old) left them in the back corner of the coop, right next to the nest boxes. She has been squatting for about ten days. I noticed that there were nest like depressions on the coop floor, as if someone was practicing building a nest and I think we missed the first one yesterday. Now we know where to look.

Florence started squatting yesterday, so I'm hoping we'll have plenty of tasty eggs real soon!

* The two eggs are much closer in color than the iPhone camera shows.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom