what clues are there to know when a chicken is going to start laying eggs

I'm thinking of going out and squeezing my chickens to see if any eggs pop out. Been waiting so long. They're combs have grown and reddened, they have passed the honking phase. I keep checking and checking...I want those eggs

only death will occur by squeezing them. Plus you wouldn't get your eggs.
idunno.gif

I'm thinking of going out and squeezing my chickens to see if any eggs pop out. Been waiting so long. They're combs have grown and reddened, they have passed the honking phase. I keep checking and checking...I want those eggs
I know how you feel. I wanted to go out and shake the eggs out of them like in a cartoon. But patient perseverance will win out in the end and you will have eggs.

My other girl, Penny, just laid her first egg! I wasn't sure who was in the nesting box because they're hard to tell apart if they're not together, but the one down in the run seemed bigger and more attentive toward me, which is Janet. It wasn't confirmed until the smaller Penny came down the ladder. Even though she's smaller, her egg's a little bigger. That's hers on the far left in the basket of eggs. (The white egg in the nesting box is wooden.)

Last edited:
Have to be the boasting proud papa. My girls hit their first dozen egg day (actually 14 but the egg carton only holds 12). Don't know if I am a proud papa or a proud grandpa...after all, what is my relationship to my hens eggs? They are still on the small side but they are fine, firm shelled eggs. My Andalusian's (white egg layers) have not started yet but they are eyeing the nests so it should not be long now. I figure that by the end of the month I should be averaging about 20 eggs a day. Now I just have to figure out how to market them.

My other girl, Penny, just laid her first egg! I wasn't sure who was in the nesting box because they're hard to tell apart if they're not together, but the one down in the run seemed bigger and more attentive toward me, which is Janet. It wasn't confirmed until the smaller Penny came down the ladder. Even though she's smaller, her egg's a little bigger. That's hers on the far left in the basket of eggs. (The white egg in the nesting box is wooden.)

D.gif

Ok so a few of my gals have been squatting for a few weeks... red combs and loud.... Today 1 of them kicked the "fake egg" out and sat in nest bc there's was a hole scratched out.... .....PLEASE tell me a EGG is on the way??? They are 20 weeks now,.. I keep looking for eggs in hiding places since they free range but not finding any....if they were eating them, would there be evidence??

I have three 20 week old hens, super huge red combs and squatting, separated hip/pelvic bones and no egg in sighed ... Kinds feel they will never lay when I hear all these 15 weekers lay

Back
Top Bottom