what clues are there to know when a chicken is going to start laying eggs

it's a good idea to keep art least one "nest egg" in the nest to prevent your girls from being compelled to find what they think is a more suitable nest area!

I've noticed my girl sits on the egg, almost like a birthing ball. Perhaps the nest egg is the chicken equivalent to reading a newspaper.

Thx I'll leave 1 in.... I had like 3 in each box... Lol.

My hens are about 4 months old, I have gotten about 6 eggs, the first couple were soft shelled, and I have gotten about 3 that were good eggs.
Have not seen any eggs for about 4 days, I do have one hen that has been doing a lot of clucking, goes into the coop and will sit in one of the nest boxes, make a lot of noise when she comes out of the coop, but no eggs.
Should I be concerned?

My hens are about 4 months old, I have gotten about 6 eggs, the first couple were soft shelled, and I have gotten about 3 that were good eggs.
Have not seen any eggs for about 4 days, I do have one hen that has been doing a lot of clucking, goes into the coop and will sit in one of the nest boxes, make a lot of noise when she comes out of the coop, but no eggs.
Should I be concerned?
I understand how you feel. Our hens laid every other day for about 1.5 weeks then stopped for a few days like yours. They're very unpredictable in the beginning. Try going through your checklist: layer feed, oyster shell available, clean inviting nest (away from distraction) with golf ball/fake egg, plenty of clean water, etc. Make sure to look for & deal with any possible sources of stress &/or any egg-eating critters. In most cases, it's simply the fact that they're new. If it were something serious, I'm sure you'd notice other symptoms & changes in behavior.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 2 buffs escaped our yard tonight. When I went to pick them up they started squatting and one started shaking her tail. Is this a sign they're preparing to lay eggs?

So sad about your hen. Can I ask (as a newbie does): what is a prolapsed vent? My girls are only 4+ weeks and I was surprised yesterday to see the beginnings of combs!

Back
Top Bottom