what clues are there to know when a chicken is going to start laying eggs

YUMM! Looks great. Can't wait 'til our tomatoes ripen to try this.

The chickens do a great job prepping the soil. The fence usually keeps them in or out of the veggie garden depending on what we're requesting from them. I have a much harder time keeping them out of my flower beds & herb gardens.(unfenced) On a positive, they weed for me. On the negative, they got rid of all my Daisies & Echinacea. We bought a Scarecrow (motion activated sprinkler) to keep the girls away from that area of the lawn. It works but eats the batteries. My hens are always testing & as soon as the batteries are drained - IT"S SNACK TIME!

I saw red comb, squat, and egg song. I found this when I got home from a weekend trip.

I saw red comb, squat, and egg song. I found this when I got home from a weekend trip.
congratulations! !! 2 more of my pullets started leaping their eggs! !!.... oops! Lol, I meant laying their eggs;)! Squat for a week+ then they are in the egg area!!!!

That is my RIR's first egg! :D

Last edited:
THAT is exactly what it sounds like! Now, is that AFTER the egg laying (because I've seen mine outside of the coop singing that song, then found a warm egg in the nestbox; or is it DURING the laying?

Although we hear it daily, I had 3 of my hens performing a trio this morning. I swear they practiced until they could all do it in unison. Wish I had a camera to record the harmony. There have been times when all the chickens are squawking (including a roo), but never with the loud Bawk at the same time like today.

In today's case all 3 had already made eggs. Two were recent, but one was about an hour earlier. I also have 2 more hens that still in the nest boxes.

My girls are squawky, especially Penny. She also does a great balk, balk, balk that could be used for a cartoon chicken. It's awesome. However, neither is all that loud in the nesting box. They'll make some noise but then they go into a bit of a trance.

Congrats to everyone on their first eggs!

Back
Top Bottom