What color are these two roosters....

HollyOakFarm

Songster
May 3, 2021
Canby Oregon
Hi everyone. :) I'm going to be that person asking what color my roos are.
I want to aim for a Silver Penciled, single combed, Naked Neck (NN) in my long term breeding (for fun, my own birds)..... I have a handle on what I'm looking for type-wise and genetics around getting the NN gene expression. I have NN hens (many different colors), Penciled Plymouth Rock hens, and I have a few roos I'm considering putting with them, but I don't know the official name of these two Roo's coloring so that I can research it. One pic is of a bibbed NN roo - is he Wheaten or Salmon or ? The other pic is of a Hedemora Roo. Not sure what to call his color. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Should I just get say.... a Penciled Plymouth Rock Roo to breed to my hens? I'm worried that there's red leakage (correct term) on my NN Roo and it may not give me what I wanted..... but he does have some penciled genetics in his background. Do I need to stay away from roos with any red expression?
Rooster.Naked.Neck..jpg
Rooster.Hedemora..jpg

I'm not sure what color to call your roos.

The first is *almost* a gold duckwing. He has hints of the gold on his wingbow, and the rest of the colors are there...so incomplete gold duckwing?

The second one looks birchen.

As to your red expression question. I can tell you this. Your silver penciled Plymouth rocks have a lot of black base. My personal experience is that black base wipes out red fairly completely, though of course there could be a little bleed through.

Penciling is a separate genetic trait. And yes, you will have to line up penciling with penciling to express penciling.

You can always experiment and see what you get. Obviously the easy answer is to find a nice silver penciled Plymouth rock rooster to speed you along your way....but where's the fun in that. But...you can save yourself a lot of headache if the penciled roo's genetics are too obscure. (You probably should know in 1 to 2 generations...I recaptured double laced gold in 2 generations).

I'm sure you are aware of the genetic calculator to run your color chances through:
http://kippenjungle.nl/chickencalculator.html

Good luck.
LofMc

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom