What color eggs will my chicks lay?

Birdie2019

Songster
May 12, 2020
Florida
I crossed a male that hatched out of a blue egg to a hen that lays blue egg. I wanted to sell these chicks (5 of them) as layers of blue and green eggs.
The male was bred from a hen laying blue eggs crossed to a Cochin Bantam, who would lay white-brown colored eggs (tan).
Is there a possibility of any other egg color, regarding this information?

Pics of one of the chicks (they all look like this):
D4EF348F-6A93-40A9-AC8E-78634078A5F9.jpeg

Attachments

• 19AD3D9D-A9F6-4F55-840B-490B9297AB8E.jpeg
    19AD3D9D-A9F6-4F55-840B-490B9297AB8E.jpeg
    251 KB · Views: 1
Most likely a 25% chance of non blue, non green egg layers.
Okay. Thank you for the reply. I am interested in genetics and such. In Quail, a blue egg means two copies of the gene. In chickens, I assumed that a blue egg was two copies, and a green egg was one copy?

In chickens there's a blue egg gene and a non blue egg gene (white egg) blue is dominant to non blue so a blue/blue or blue/non blue will be blue.
The genes that cause the brown color are a different set of genes. Of course those on a white egg make brown and on a blue egg make green.

In chickens there's a blue egg gene and a non blue egg gene (white egg) blue is dominant to non blue so a blue/blue or blue/non blue will be blue.
The genes that cause the brown color are a different set of genes. Of course those on a white egg make brown and on a blue egg make green.
Oh, wow. Thank you for explaining !

Back
Top Bottom