What Color is this Bantam Cochin considered? - UPDATE Mystery solved

Ducks-R-Us

Songster
10 Years
Jul 23, 2009
North Dakota
I hatched out this guy a couple months ago and he was supposed to be a partridge bantam cochin but he doesn't look at all like his sisters. Is this a mixed color?
37433_img_1214.jpg

Last edited:
wow neat color. not a partridge. I looked through my story's guide the closest it looked like the silver penciled but I think he is mixed color. I would be interesting to see what he looks like when he matures.

Thanks, I emailed the gal I bought the eggs from on EBAY and will see what she says. I know she sells other colors of bantam cochins like black, white, golden laced, so maybe another roo got in with the partridge and this is what I ended up with. I hatched out 6 chicks with 5 being hens - this is my only rooster from that batch.

Quote:
Wow, how lucky are you?!!! 5 hens and 1 roo
ep.gif
I think he might be a mixed color also, but I thought he looked kind of like a columbian pattern, just too much black throughout his body. Still cute, but unfortunately not what you wanted, and I'm assuming you wouldn't want him mating with your girls?
hmm.png

Actually, he is just fine whatever color he is - I only got these chickens hoping the hens go broody and hatch out duck eggs for me. They are great birds though, so tame - you can walk up and pick them up at any time without a squawk. This little Roo is the first one that hatched and my daughters favorite. I also hatched out a second group of these with the same results- 5 hens and 1 roo - that roo is a partridge.

THe difference between partridge and silver penciled is the silver/gold gene, so it is not that hard to get from one to the next. Mix in silver laced and you mess of the pattern. However, he look pure silver, not mixed, which means that mama was definitely silver and papa was either silver or golden (mixed), not gold.

Back
Top Bottom