What color is this cochin bantam chick?

Athena2344

Songster
5 Years
Aug 7, 2016
San Antonio, Tx
Hello there, I have a breeding trio of black cochin bantams and I've hatched out a few eggs from them, but I'm confused on the last two colors of the chicks. The first two were a blue and a mottled for sure. The third chick hatched and fluffed out solid white, but the new feathers that are coming in on it's wings look black or blue. Does that mean it's possibly a splash? And then this little chick hatched today, and it's not a defenitive black and white unlike the first chick. It looks like there's some blue in there as well. It's so stinking cute, half of it's comb is black while the other half is normal. What do y'all think?
IMG_20210114_193032.jpg
I
IMG_20210114_193026.jpg

I think you're probably right about the third chick. As for the fourth one, from the looks of it now I would guess that it'll turn out to be some sort of lacing but I'm not the greatest with guessing chick colors since I've had plenty completely blindside me.

I don't know which hen is the mom (mom's) but one of them has just a little bit of white leakage on her neck, but other than that she's solid black. I was leaning towards mottled black on that chick (4th) but it looks like it has some blue in there too.
IMG_20210114_203939.jpg
IMG_20210114_203944.jpg

And this is the 3rd chick, I'm pretty sure the pin feathers coming in are blue, they don't look dark enough to be black.
IMG_20210114_204054.jpg

The hen with "white leakage" is a Birchin Cochin. That's not leakage, it is supposed to be there. Genetically you can't get Blue or Splash chicks from Black birds, which I am surprised no one has addressed. Black x Black matings should only result in Black chicks, unless they birds are carrying recessive White, Chocolate, or Lavender (Self-blue). Or Mottled, although the babies would still be Black Mottled.

Please post pictures of all three adults where they are in good lighting. I'm not convinced the rooster is a solid Black from the above photo, but that may be because of the camera flash.

The hen with "white leakage" is a Birchin Cochin. That's not leakage, it is supposed to be there. Genetically you can't get Blue or Splash chicks from Black birds, which I am surprised no one has addressed. Black x Black matings should only result in Black chicks, unless they birds are carrying recessive White, Chocolate, or Lavender (Self-blue). Or Mottled, although the babies would still be Black Mottled.

Please post pictures of all three adults where they are in good lighting. I'm not convinced the rooster is a solid Black from the above photo, but that may be because of the camera flash.
Yes overo mare already led me to her being a birchen. As far as black to black, I always thought there was a small percentage of blue and splash when breeding black to black unless they are a "pure" black breed, ie absolutely no other colors have been crossed in. The one pair are solid black, the one hen is birchen.

As far as black to black, I always thought there was a small percentage of blue and splash when breeding black to black unless they are a "pure" black breed, ie absolutely no other colors have been crossed in.

No.

Blue to blue gives black, blue, and splash.

But black and splash are both true breeding:
Black to black gives only black.
And splash to splash gives only splash.

Crossing black to splash gives 100% blue chicks.

Back
Top Bottom