What color is this kitty cat?

Well it's not really : or ! It's hard to explain...
If I am allowed to keep him or adopt him back, I would be concerned about the little ones (children) and my chihuahua getting scratched. He hasn't scratched yet, but I don't want to wait and find out how bad it can turn out. I'm not sure if cutting his nails will prevent injury, and I've heard that soft paws come off easily on kittens. Any suggestions? I wouldn't consider getting my cat's finger cut off at the last knuckle either...

If I am allowed to keep him or adopt him back, I would be concerned about the little ones (children) and my chihuahua getting scratched. He hasn't scratched yet, but I don't want to wait and find out how bad it can turn out. I'm not sure if cutting his nails will prevent injury, and I've heard that soft paws come off easily on kittens. Any suggestions? I wouldn't consider getting my cat's finger cut off at the last knuckle either...

I was raised with cats and kittens from babyhood on and so were my children. We also had dogs and other animals at the same time. Kittens soon learn to control their claws and I also clip claws. If started young cats will sit still for it and even hold their paws up. It's not hard to do at all. Just have someone show you, perhaps your vet or vet tech when you take the kitten in for shots. You can use a small animal nail clipper or even the little sized clipper people use for their own nails. You can use the ones with the hole in the center or the ones that look like a curved scissors.
I've never had a problem with kids, cats and dogs together.

You can clip, but filing is what will keep the claws from hurting. Once he's use to you holding his paws, a few swipes with a nail file to dull the end will keep the scratches from doing much damage. For clipping, I prefer the scissor-style clippers. This seems to work better for smaller claws, but it's just a preference!
Being an animal lover as a little kid, I've been scratched and bit by so many animals, domestic and wild, and I have to say, the cat scratch is the least painful and the easiest to prevent infection. They generally outgrow the playful scratching, too :)

Well, I know he is a very gentle cat. Last time I had a cat though, he scratched my baby sister in the face right by her eye and was sent to a new home
sad.png
He also got a little rough playing with my older little sister... I just don't want that to happen again. I'm not really worried about scratches from playing and unwanted showers :p He's actually surprisingly good with showers, and pretty clean except for the two ticks we took off of him and his beige stained paws instead of white ^-^

I was raised with cats and kittens from babyhood on and so were my children. We also had dogs and other animals at the same time. Kittens soon learn to control their claws and I also clip claws. If started young cats will sit still for it and even hold their paws up. It's not hard to do at all. Just have someone show you, perhaps your vet or vet tech when you take the kitten in for shots. You can use a small animal nail clipper or even the little sized clipper people use for their own nails. You can use the ones with the hole in the center or the ones that look like a curved scissors.
I've never had a problem with kids, cats and dogs together.
I hope it will work out, I'm just worried about the first few weeks because he hasn't been to the vet yet and he might be a little terrified (what a big change, from a feral kitten to a favorite little boy!). I'll try and get him gradually used to my Chihuahua and the kids.

Going back for a second; do tortoiseshell cats have tabby patterns on their brindled colors? Sometimes even solid colored cats are tabby, you can see it in the light. The only thing that keeps me from thinking Cherish is a tortoiseshell tabby as opposed to a tortoiseshell, is the strong tabby markings (Orange on his face, brown on his legs...)

Also, I was thinking if it would be a good idea to take him to the shelter and adopt him... Is that not allowed? I know they will make him healthy and all. It's probably a better option than taking him to the vet multiple times for a big bill... I need to convince my mom that I will be a good owner because I really need a kitten in my life! I can't let this little kitty go, I love him too much. And if he likes my chihuahua, she would really benefit from a friend

I hope it will work out, I'm just worried about the first few weeks because he hasn't been to the vet yet and he might be a little terrified (what a big change, from a feral kitten to a favorite little boy!). I'll try and get him gradually used to my Chihuahua and the kids.

Do you have a dog crate? If so, or a seldom used room. you can put him in it with a litter box, food and water and allow him to get used to his surroundings gradually and let the dog get used to him to.
You can call your shelter or if you have a large pet store nearby like Petco or Pet Supplies Plus or any of the others, they often have a weekly vaccination and well kitten or puppy checkup where prices are very reasonable. Usually only five or ten dollars a shot.

Wow, that's amazing... I'm working on an essay to give to my mom to convince her to let me keep my little boy. I'll let everyone know how it goes!

Back
Top Bottom