What color OEGB is this?

KattNaps

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2022
Valencia County, NM
So I was fortunate enough to stumble upon a batch of self blue OEGBs at the feed store the other day (TOP thing on my list this season, I still can't get over my luck!) and while I happily grabbed some gorgeous silver babies, I also couldn't help but fall for this little oddball. (That pink beak stuck out like a sore thumb!) This definitely isn't self blue coloring, but I've been looking at pictures of OEGB chicks in every color of the rainbow over the last few days and cannot figure out what this sweet little one might be. Anyone know what color I might have here?

Attachments

• 20230219_182257.jpg
    20230219_182257.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 45
With better photos it may be possible to tell, but more likely you will have to wait until it feathers out. There are a ton of varieties of OEGBS so it's a tough breed to tell when that young.

He doesn't seem to be doing too well? Or maybe just sleepy. He might be a fawn silver or if there's a dot on top of his head a crele. I say he because the eyeliner isn't too dark.
Wasn't doing great at the time of that picture, I had just cleaned off some major pasty butt and poor baby was a little lethargic. But we got it to bounce back! These are some better photos from today. (Although it's a challenge to get pictures of this one awake, the whole batch are cuddlebugs who like to settle in for naps as soon as they get into a nice warm palm! 😂)

Attachments

• 20230228_174719.jpg
    20230228_174719.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 20230228_174710.jpg
    20230228_174710.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 13
Did the feed store tell you which hatchery they get their chicks from?
Yes, they work with Privett, so I've looked over their chicks, too, and still can't quite figure out what this one might be even though they don't have a massive color selection of them. I did also shoot them an e-mail with some pictures to see if they might be able to tell me!

Yes, they work with Privett, so I've looked over their chicks, too, and still can't quite figure out what this one might be even though they don't have a massive color selection of them. I did also shoot them an e-mail with some pictures to see if they might be able to tell me!
I don't think it's any color that is currently listed on Privett's site. They may be breeding other colors in small numbers, and putting them in assortments but not listing them separately.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/oegb-chick-down-reference-pictures-here.1155637/

I've been looking over these, but what's tripping me up are the wings. None of the pictures seem to have darker wings like this one.

Looking at your chick photos, and the illustrations in the thread you linked, I would consider these varieties most likely:
Blue Silver Duckwing
Fawn Silver Duckwing
Silver Ginger
Blue Silver Mille Fleur (if that exists-- it's not listed, but logically it would be Blue Mille Fleur plus the silver gene.)

The chicks illustrated in that thread don't have wing feathers yet.

Many varieties of chicks get dark feathers in their wings, sometimes with various multi-colored patterns, even if that will not be visible in the adult coloring. Many colors of adult chickens also have dark flight feathers that are not visible when the wing is folded.

Back
Top Bottom