what colors will i get if...

Quote:
WOULD YOU BELEIVE ALL CROSSES WILL YIELD COTURNIX COLORED QUAIL??? LOL----
lol.png

i just hatched 5 eggs from my golden roo over my A&M hen i got 3 A&Ms and 2 golden chicks. so from what i have seen on here i am guessing my golden roo carries the white gene.

Quote:
That would be my guess, crossing any color over A&M is a good way to see if the colored bird is pure for its color, since A&M is recessive to everything.
smile.png

shawnkfl wrote: (Shelley is in BOLD)
i breed coturnix like this;

golden roo over A&M =

All chicks would be golden or brown, and split to carry white.

golden roo over brown =

Average is 2 of 3 chicks will be golden, with 1 of 3 being brown.

golden roo over golden hen = (i'm assuming more golden?)

I've heard that this is often a 'lethal' breeding, meaning that some of the eggs wouldn't develop, or would develop to a point. But the offspring should be golden IF the parents are pure for golden. Golden is dominant over brown (see above) so if your goldens are golden/brown splits, you could get 25% pure for golden, 50% golden split to brown, and 25% pure for brown

My turn --------

so... that being said, I should not put golden males and females in the same pen? I mean, from what I gather you are saying, they CAN hatch out, but many might NOT hatch out - right? so, in my thinking, if I'm gonna put the effort into incubating the eggs, I want results, so it would be better to do a golden roo over brown hens or vice versa, correct?

meri

Mojo Chick'n :

My turn --------

so... that being said, I should not put golden males and females in the same pen? I mean, from what I gather you are saying, they CAN hatch out, but many might NOT hatch out - right? so, in my thinking, if I'm gonna put the effort into incubating the eggs, I want results, so it would be better to do a golden roo over brown hens or vice versa, correct?

meri

I don't know, this is just what I've heard. I haven't tried this myself completely yet. I have only 1 pair of goldens, which are together, but they also have a pharoah hen with them. I've gotten goldens from my eggs, but it's hard to say if they are from the golden hen or the pharoah hen. You could always try it and see how they do. Just be sure to mark the eggs from the golden girls. But it seems that many people do have golden over brown or vice versa. I think Mrs. AK has all goldens in her pen, but I'd have to ask and find out for sure.​

Quote:
I don't know, this is just what I've heard. I haven't tried this myself completely yet. I have only 1 pair of goldens, which are together, but they also have a pharoah hen with them. I've gotten goldens from my eggs, but it's hard to say if they are from the golden hen or the pharoah hen. You could always try it and see how they do. Just be sure to mark the eggs from the golden girls. But it seems that many people do have golden over brown or vice versa. I think Mrs. AK has all goldens in her pen, but I'd have to ask and find out for sure.

I have one particular golden who is just fabulous looking!! He is young yet, maybe 6 to 7 weeks old, from the first batch I hatched out from your eggs. He's a big boy, too
big_smile.png
usually my hens are bigger than the boys are, but he is a bigger male.

if you can find out if she has hatching problems with the all golden pen, let us know
big_smile.png

meri

Back
Top Bottom