What colors will they be?

Mamabrinkles

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 28, 2013
Grand Junction, CO
Here are two of my beautiful girls. Mrs. Winterbottom was purchased as a white orpington. Her feathers have a slight grey tint to them, I am curious if that is normal or if there is a chance she will be a different color. She is 4 weeks old.

Girtie Lou is a Wyandotte and up until a week ago I thought she was going to be white. She has developed some light brown feathers on top of her head and a couple on her breat. Any ideas on what color she will be? She is 5 weeks old.

LL
Is this the bird you think is a Wyandotte? That is not a Wyandotte as it has a single comb. It looks like either a mix, or even, sadly a Red Sexlink rooster...at 4 weeks of age watch that comb. If it gets red, it may be a RSL rooster.

LL
Is this the bird you think is a White Orpington??? That is not a White Orpington. I can't see the comb...it MIGHT have a rose comb...if it does, this might be your Wyandotte...but the leg color is wrong. Wyandottes have yellow legs. IIt looks to be a mix too (or I'm not thinking what it is right off hand). Those are really thick legs too, but the comb is small.

As to colors...they will change a lot before they finish with their adult feathering especially if they are mixed breeds. However, white birds do not grow in grey feathers. White birds can start as grey-ish in the down as chicks, White Rocks as example, but the adult feathers will come in white, not grey.

Lady of McCamley

Last edited:
Here are a couple more pics of Mrs. Winterbottom, she definitely isn't a Wyandotte. Her leg color and tinge of grey to her feathers coming in is what made me wonder if she might be a lavender Orpington. I got them both from Murdochs as purebreds, but we shall see!

And for Girtie Lou she has been completely white until a couple of days ago - she is 5 weeks old. I got her out of a mixed color Wyandotte brooder, but I see what you mean about her comb...I hadn't ever questioned her breed, so now I am wondering what she is. Thanks for looking!

Here are a couple more pics of Mrs. Winterbottom, she definitely isn't a Wyandotte. Her leg color and tinge of grey to her feathers coming in is what made me wonder if she might be a lavender Orpington. I got them both from Murdochs as purebreds, but we shall see!
That is definitely a single comb too...no Wyandotte for either one. Possibly a Lavender Orpington...I've not had one of those, so I don't know....but I think the leg color is still wrong.

I'm still suspicious of the other one...it's sure looks like a Red Sexlink rooster...they are white with red bleed through...time will tell.

Lady of McCamley

Last edited:
Hmmmm....it's hard to tell without seeing a full profile shot...she looks a bit stocky for a Leghorn, but it could be the photo angle.

I'm leaning towards White Rock, but her earlobes should be red not white if that were the case.

What did Mrs. Winterbottom feather out to be?

Lady of McCamley

I'll take some better pics of her and post them. And I'll take some new pics of Mrs. Winterbottom, she's the fluffiest bird in the whole wide world - okay, maybe just in my neck of the woods :). Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom