What colour is my marans pullet??

briannajustine

Chirping
Sep 17, 2021
Hi all, I got given a little cross beak chick for free about 6 months ago. The breeder initially wasn’t sure what she was as she was in the pekin pen, but suspected she may actually be a marans. Fast forward to now and she’s definitely a marans, I just would love to know what her colour is called. From searching I can’t seem to find any colouring that looks like her!
Does anyone also know what age she might lay and what colour eggs? She’s about 6 months old, and I have a few other pullets around the same age so would love to know which egg is hers once she lays! She’s a cross beak so I thought she may lay a little later then usual but she’s thriving and eating with no problems so I thought she might start to lay soon. These pics were about a month ago so she is looking more hen like now!

Attachments

• C115BB69-2C7C-46D3-857C-053160B21CD9.jpeg
    C115BB69-2C7C-46D3-857C-053160B21CD9.jpeg
    533.4 KB · Views: 18
  • ADFBB8B4-316B-412D-9D59-4E53A1D64929.jpeg
    ADFBB8B4-316B-412D-9D59-4E53A1D64929.jpeg
    583 KB · Views: 11
  • 64A8E799-62E8-4E7F-A9AE-6C72D51FFA5C.jpeg
    64A8E799-62E8-4E7F-A9AE-6C72D51FFA5C.jpeg
    459.4 KB · Views: 9
Looks like Buff Columbian, or very poor Wheaten coloration.

Occasionally you can get black in the hackles, & color leakage in the breasts.

I have a Red Wheaten Malay hen, who has some black in the hackles, & some red leakage in the breast feathers.

I did suggest she's probably been mixed with Buff Brahma at some point based her coloration.

Looks like Buff Columbian, or very poor Wheaten coloration.

Occasionally you can get black in the hackles, & color leakage in the breasts.

I have a Red Wheaten Malay hen, who has some black in the hackles, & some red leakage in the breast feathers.

I did suggest she's probably been mixed with Buff Brahma at some point based her coloration.
Interesting, she doesn’t seem chunky enough to be a Colombian though as she’s still quite slim and is 6 months old already.. I did look at the breeders website however and found the closest thing to her is a quamby which is apparently a new heritage breed out here in aus! https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.abc.net.au/article/11713888
Has very similar colouring however she has fluffy feet and these don’t seem too haha

Interesting, she doesn’t seem chunky enough to be a Colombian though as she’s still quite slim and is 6 months old already.. I did look at the breeders website however and found the closest thing to her is a quamby which is apparently a new heritage breed out here in aus! https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.abc.net.au/article/11713888
Has very similar colouring however she has fluffy feet and these don’t seem too haha
Columbian is the color pattern, not a breed. There's Silver, Buff, & Red Columbian colorations.

I've never heard of it. I don't think that's what she is either.

Back
Top Bottom