What could be wrong with her neck?

B-flock

Chirping
Aug 31, 2020
Virginia
Edit: she’s an almost 4 year old ISA brown who also has suspected internal laying. She’s going to the vet tomorrow morning for a quality of life check and probably euthanasia so I don’t just prolong her suffering. I wish I was one of those who could cull, but I just can’t do it. Thank you to everyone who replied!

Original post: I started treating my chicken for impacted crop yesterday. She was doing the neck jerk and it felt like a water balloon, but I’m also very concerned about her neck! She has what feels like a bone protruding outward, as you may be able to see in the photo. I have a vet appointment for her, but I’m afraid it’ll be a quality of life/euthanasia appointment. After this morning, she doesn’t want to eat and just looks miserable. Any ideas or experience? She’s mine and my daughter’s favorite and oldest hen 😭
IMG_0897.png

Last edited:
What treatment have you been doing so far? What do you feed her? Does she have granite poultry grit available? The tracheal cartilage in the front of the neck is a stiff pipe that protects the airway. Could that be what you are feeling? Her crop looks pretty large. Is she drinking a lot of water? Can you check the crop in the early morning to see if it has emptied some? Does it feel firm or puffy? Here is a good crop article to read:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

You could use regular adult size grit, and just put a small amount in a small dish or lid for her to take as she needs it. So her crop feels like a water balloon, or is it firm? If it is firm, then massage it several times a day. Has her crop been enlarged for awhile? She might be dealing with a pendulous crop if it has been large for awhile. Are you letting her out some each day to be with her flock? They need to be in contact with her some so that she doesn’t get picked on when she goes back. I usually leave my chickens with their flock if at all possible at least for daily visits. She needs a little food, mostly mushy very wet chicken feed, some egg, plain yogurt, but no hard to digest whole grains, seeds, etc. @azygous is much more experienced with crop disorders. She uses coconut oil, Monistat cream orally or other antifungal medication for sour crop.

Given her age and that she's a production breed, it's likely she has a reproductive issue, and sadly, it's high odds it will kill her.

Crop issues are a secondary issue caused by the reproductive issue which could be internal laying, EYP (infection) egg binding, or reproductive cancer.

Yes, I read the whole thread. I sympathize. I got four production breeds a few years ago, and all but one has died of reproductive issues. It's very sad as I am very attached to all my chickens. The heartache is intense when I lose one. I have refused to bring home any more sex links and high production breeds. These are bred for commercial laying operations, not backyard pets where we desire that they live longer than two years.
Same, I will never buy another, especially after seeing how far it went with the hen that was given to me. The egg production complications are no joke and it’s so sad. It’s almost to the point of a meat bird where it can seem inhumane to keep them past a certain age. I’m the same as you about my chickens and this one in particular is my favorite. They’re pets and my daughter and I are 1000% attached.

Thank you everyone for your input! I’ve shifted into the thinking that it’ll be best for her to be euthanized. I’ll update with input from the vet tomorrow for BYC people searching for the same issues in the future.

Did you mention that her crop was empty this morning? How old is this hen?

I doubt that the bump in the trachea is anything critical or she would be gasping for air. Set that aside for now.

If her crop is still like a water balloon, you should be treating for a yeast infection with miconazole vaginal yeast cream. Get it where they stock the menstrual products. Get the cream as it's most cost efficient.

When giving any med to a chicken, it's folly to expect the chicken to "take" it any more than a toddler would. Grasp the hen around the wings and body to control her, and pry open her beak by inserting a finger nail and then hold the beak open with a finger in the side while squeezing about half an inch of cream into her mouth. 2x day for seven days.

If this is impacted crop, and it's often in conjunction with sour (yeast) crop, you will be able to feel the solid material. Use your sense of touch and imagination to picture what the clog is - grass is the usual culprit as chickens will often gorge on sweet spring grass. You will need to treat with oil and massage in addition to the miconazole. The link @Eggcessive gave you has detailed instructions.

Given her age and that she's a production breed, it's likely she has a reproductive issue, and sadly, it's high odds it will kill her.

Crop issues are a secondary issue caused by the reproductive issue which could be internal laying, EYP (infection) egg binding, or reproductive cancer.
Agreed. Not sure if you saw the whole thread, but it’s stated on the previous page that she’s going to the vet for a quality of life check and probably euthanasia tomorrow morning. We had a different hen that was given to us with a severe case of internal laying and I will not let this baby experience the same (the previous owners said they didn’t know). I’m updating the question, too. Thank you for your help!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom