What did you do in the garden today?

I'll be planting about 30 tomato plants, I think. In part bc we are trying out lots of varieties. We love fresh eating ones. Maybe I'll get to growing paste tomatoes for sauce, but not this year. Last year our tomato plants (about 20 or so) did ok, but not impressive by any measure. We know the soil was not in great condition, so this year it will hopefully be in better condition and will yield much higher/ better results. The optimist in me has driven me to get "beefsteak" types to see just how big they can get. And, the optimist in me bought the heirloom "Amish Rose" tomato plant from the feed store again- same as last year - to see if this year we would have better results. The "Amish Rose" had the worst performance in our garden last year, yet it is the top seller of the heirlooms at the feed store. So, I'm hoping for better results!

We have done this too. It is much better overall, so far!

Agreed! <Sigh> This year has been consistently cold and fairly overcast.
I have a lot growing in the trays right now but I doubt I will have room for them all. :lau last year I threw a bunch away but this year I think I’m going to give them away.

I wish you good luck with your plants this year!!

I was going to grow the Romas this year but I grew them the first year (a few years ago) before I knew anything about tomatoes and no one really liked them that much. Of course, because we didn’t know anything, we didn’t know they were supposed to be more for sauces and not raw but still. Maybe they would be better if I grew them for pasta sauce instead but we’re growing a bunch of other types anyway haha

I have a lot growing in the trays right now but I doubt I will have room for them all. :lau last year I threw a bunch away but this year I think I’m going to give them away.

I wish you good luck with your plants this year!!

I was going to grow the Romas this year but I grew them the first year (a few years ago) before I knew anything about tomatoes and no one really liked them that much. Of course, because we didn’t know anything, we didn’t know they were supposed to be more for sauces and not raw but still. Maybe they would be better if I grew them for pasta sauce instead but we’re growing a bunch of other types anyway haha
My favorite are the sweet 100 cherry type. We used to pick and a wrap leaf of fresh basil around them and eat right from the garden.

My favorite are the sweet 100 cherry type. We used to pick and a wrap leaf of fresh basil around them and eat right from the garden.
I don’t think I’ve ever heard of that type but it sounds delicious!! We really like Brandywine, especially my dad, so we are doing that one and then also Mortgage Lifter (Halladays), Cherokee Purple, Black Krim, and SunGold cherry tomatoes because last year we had these little gold volunteer ones that my dad said were very sweet, like candy, and he really liked them, so when I saw this kind at the store that looked similar, I figured I’d try it.

I’m not sure if I liked the dark tomatoes but I don’t think they grew that well last year so I figured I’d try them again haha

Might have to try that other kind next year.

Although we really like a slice of brandywine with a slice of mozzarella cheese and some balsamic glaze :drool

Aloha garden gang!
I finally got back into the garden this morning and hopefully added long lasting chicken proof garden space. I planted my tomato starts before they got too big, eggplant, kale and asparagus- only peppers to go. Efficient apartment sized gardening I hope.
20200426_121950.jpg

I also sold 3 BO hens and my rooster Gus yesterday. :hitThe most responses I've ever received from a craigslist add ever all while delivering the last of our horse poop compost. Today is very quiet in chicken world... sad but still a good move. I had no shortage of fantastic homes of brand new chicken owners to send them to... I'm feeling a little emotionally beat. I told the family w/ 1 acre that i would buy back what ever they changed their mind about. That made wifey poo happy.
20200425_084623.jpg
20200425_084905.jpg
20200425_084224.jpg

Now, with my DH's blessing i am going to start breeding a good looking, friendly and heat tolerant chicken who lays well. Wish me luck.
We reinstalled the steps to the front deck last eve and brought the table and saddles back up on deck this morning after my gardening escapades. All the creatures are moving back in no problem...
20200426_123005.jpg
20200426_060602.jpg
20200426_081506 (2).jpg
20200426_115530.jpg

Well, kids. It is time for a Sunday movie and a nap. i hope you all are up to your wrists in dirt!!!

My favorite are the sweet 100 cherry type
Saw these at the feed store when I was buying the plants. I was tempted bc I’ve always heard good things about them. However, cherry tomatoes are so productive it can get out of hand if you have too many plants. We loved the “Fox Cherry” last year, and the “black” ones are usually good, so trying a new one of those and 1 more new Red one. We had “Wheatley cherry” tomato last year...NOT a favorite.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard of that type but it sounds delicious!! We really like Brandywine, especially my dad, so we are doing that one and then also Mortgage Lifter (Halladays), Cherokee Purple, Black Krim, and SunGold cherry tomatoes because last year we had these little gold volunteer ones that my dad said were very sweet, like candy, and he really liked them, so when I saw this kind at the store that looked similar, I figured I’d try it.

I’m not sure if I liked the dark tomatoes but I don’t think they grew that well last year so I figured I’d try them again haha

Might have to try that other kind next year.

Although we really like a slice of brandywine with a slice of mozzarella cheese and some balsamic glaze :drool
Oh man, I love tomato with balsamic! How do you do the glaze? Is this a cold dish?

Saw these at the feed store when I was buying the plants. I was tempted bc I’ve always heard good things about them. However, cherry tomatoes are so productive it can get out of hand if you have too many plants. We loved the “Fox Cherry” last year, and the “black” ones are usually good, so trying a new one of those and 1 more new Red one. We had “Wheatley cherry” tomato last year...NOT a favorite.
Yeah we had tons of cherry tomatoes one year, I think year before last, and we couldn’t keep up at all. There were soooooo many. Lost went bad 😂🤣🙈 I’m not really sure why we had so many. I think thy were volunteers?? I don’t think I planted them but I can’t really remember haha

I really like the sweet 100. I've chopped with fresh garlic, basil and balsamic/olive oil. So good! For fresh eating I like them but I've never tried the Brandywine and now I'm tempted.

Back
Top Bottom