What did you do in the garden today?

My steady egg customer just got chicks for the first time ever. She knows she'll have no eggs until late fall, so she's been chomping at the bit for me to start selling again. It usually takes her 4 weeks to go through 6 dozen eggs. I delivered eggs last week and she texted me Friday for more. I guess they've really missed them. LOL.
I deliver, so for that trip, I told her I'd meet her in town next week. The price of gas....ugh.

I am experiencing threats to my well supply, because my state /county, does not regulate urban/suburban growth and the wells to supply this very affluent influx. Most of the new homes going in my area, could fully contain my house, barn, shop, chicken coop and sheep sheds, with room left over! Most of these homes have 3 to 4 people living in them at the most. All have large swimming pools, Spa tubs, outdoor kitchens, 3 to 6 car garages, and amazing to me, 6 to 7 bathrooms is common, for the typical 4 to 5 bedroom houses! They all are putting in deep wells(250 to 300 ft.) with maximum pumps and pulling down the water table! 3 acre fully irrigated lawns are typical, as well. Each of these new "well off" home owners are using the water resources of 5 or 6 average rural homes that existed here for the last generation! Even here in an area with abundant water, clean, affordable water is important! Our older wells tend to be about 45 to 70 feet deep. Until recently the water level in the wells was way up and never threatened to get to the bottom. In fact the water table at times is only a few yards down. Now people closer to the new developments are experiencing failing wells in high demand times (summer time)and my well is threatened at only 65 feet deep. Many of us are elderly and not "well off" financially. The cost of new wells is a strain for many or impossible for some! I would like to see these pools and lawn irrigations all fed only by the water they can collect from their home rooftops! I like a lot of these rich young folks. But they are greedy and extravagant with precious resources and do not help pay the cost they defer to others! Now we need more police, more fire fighters, more traffic lights,bigger institutions,higher taxes and for us old residents , new wells! Next municipal water is coming to the area from the nearby city. That will help by stopping new wells. But the big municipal pumps can do the same. (but less danger from possible contamination from excessive well entry points) At some point soon, rural/suburban development must be slowed or stopped! Especially the grossly excessive demands of the wealthy consumer for water and power!
Don't get me started about corporations who sell bottled water (packaged in wasteful plastic bottles, of course) by buying water rights from municipalities, and lowering the aquifer away from local residents who count on their own wells for their water needs.

It is insane!
I was JUST thinking the other day about our water toting society. I was thinking back to childhood and NO one walked around with drinks in their hands. When we played, we grabbed a garden hose. When we worked we either had a thermos of water or coffee, or a mason jar of water, or my personal favorite the old tin communal dipper hung on a branch next to the natural spring. But none of this water always on hand. How on earth did we survive?!

Raining here too, but we’re getting snow tonight, and up to 3” Wednesday. What makes that so funny is that I found out about the snow minutes after telling the chickens that despite the warm weather yesterday, we might see snow soon. I jinxed it! :lau
I have cleaned up everything for the time being outside. I do have to remember the glass next to the coop where a window busted, and trash I missed under the lilac bush. I have been busy cleaning up the property for a few days now.

It is insane!
I was JUST thinking the other day about our water toting society. I was thinking back to childhood and NO one walked around with drinks in their hands. When we played, we grabbed a garden hose. When we worked we either had a thermos of water or coffee, or a mason jar of water, or my personal favorite the old tin communal dipper hung on a branch next to the natural spring. But none of this water always on hand. How on earth did we survive?!
I had to teach my husband to stop bringing Mt. Dew to church!

The wasteful water bottles kill me. I give DH such a hard time about using them, I'm like just fill your reusable jug! Sheesh. We have a water cooler here & get 5 gallon jugs because our water, while safe, is undrinkable. So its simple for him to just refill his jug. :smack

Got the compost turned, its still frozen in the middle. Also started digging out the spot for the new strawberry bed & then the rain came so thats half done.

Next month I hope to buy a shredder and get all the accumulated wood ,twigs etc collected from last year made into mulch .
I got a chipper last summer. They aren't kidding when they say it makes your pile of stuff about 1/20 of the original size. Huge pile turns into tiny pile. So it's a good thing I have an endless supply of stuff. I just have to get it all into a pile.

Back
Top Bottom