What did you do in the garden today?

Last year I bought some raspberries, blueberries, and grapes from Walmart. Never again. They never came out of dormancy. All dead.... Same problem with stuff from TSC.

Believe it or not, everything I've purchased from Lowe's has been in really good condition. Even better than the local nursery... Same with my local employee owned grocery. I bought some really NICE fruit trees (Pink Lady apple, dwarf peach, and a red plum) for $25/each. All the trees had to be 2 - 3 years old already. I think the apple tree is almost 7 ft tall! The peach and plum are easily 4 - 5 ft each....
I haven’t had any luck with the Walmart’s raspberries they were always diseased.
I have had good lunch with the stuff in the green bags though. You just have to be picky with them. A good rule of thumb is to never get one of the top top bags and get the one with the most moisture.
I’ve never bought live plants from TSC they always looked more dead than alive. Or they had a 8 foot tree in a 1 or 2 gallon pot.

The TSC plants I have purchased were all from DeGroot. I should have known better than to purchase plants that LOOKED dead but they assured me that they were just dormant. I should have listened to my own inner voice....

Last fall they had an entire pallet of trees that were wrapped with a TON of plastic wrap. Every single tree on that pallet looked dead as a door nail. The sad part is that they had that pallet sitting right next to the front door like it was something being showcased to entice people to buy! Smh.... None of it was discounted but why would you buy dead trees anyway?

Good morning gardeners. The winds finally subsided late yesterday afternoon not long after we lost power for about an hour due to fallen debris on the powerlines. Sunny and warm today. I should be able to get the hoop garden set up to start warming the soil. My cabbage and lettuce is germinating. That should be ready to go outside the week after next. I'm still waiting for the seed potatoes I ordered from Gurneys. I'm not thrilled with their delivery service. You would think for what they charge for it it would be more accurate / efficient. Oh well. I planted one 4 inch pot of basil and it is growing like crazy. I have one yellow squash and it is growing like crazy also. The zucchini seems like a dud. I've planted it twice with no luck. I'll try one more time. No signs of germination on the peppers and okra yet. I just moved their flat next to the pellet stove for a little extra warmth. But all the zinnia and marigold cells are sprouting. Still only one tulip popping up in the cutting garden. I really hope I didn't kill the bulbs. I finally remembered to put in my chick order. Since DD has never experienced brooding chicks I thought she would enjoy it while she is still staying with me. I let her pick them. At first she wanted Easter Eggers but I was concerned about their small size up against my little hoard of heavy dual purpose girls, so she opted for Columbian Wyandotte's. And the bonus is, they won't be ready until the last week in May which gives me plenty of time to get the garden going and prep for their arrival.

TSC plants are not good here either. Mostly talking about the boxed fruits like raspberries, etc. Any direct sunlight heats them up and roots get killed. One year, they had their entire stand outside. Lol. All baked dead.
Wow...

I had purchased 3 or 4 of those boxed plants. They are from DeGroot nursery. They also have a 100% Guarantee. When all of mine were confirmed dead (never came out of dormancy), I called the company. Provided a copy of my receipt. 3 months later, they sent me a check in the mail to reimburse me for the plants. Minus taxes, of course. So at least they were nice enough to follow through on their guarantee. Still won't purchase DeGroot plants again....

Wow...

I had purchased 3 or 4 of those boxed plants. They are from DeGroot nursery. They also have a 100% Guarantee. When all of mine were confirmed dead (never came out of dormancy), I called the company. Provided a copy of my receipt. 3 months later, they sent me a check in the mail to reimburse me for the plants. Minus taxes, of course. So at least they were nice enough to follow through on their guarantee. Still won't purchase DeGroot plants again....
That’s great that they refunded you!!

Back
Top Bottom