What did you do in the garden today?

sauerkraut with smoked pork are my mother's favourite. I ate sandwiches when she cooked it:oops:
As a kid I hated it, I couldn't stand the smell and my poor parents who were from North Dakota and Minnesota (don't cha know) saw it as a basic comfort food and I was a fussy pain in the patoot kid. I love the stuff now, I know my folks are somewhere laughing.
Yesterday when I went in to feed them he pecked the top of my foot and drew blood the 🤬 I hollered loud enough to startle the rest, then yelled "I'm gonna eat you!" at him before leaving to check the damage.
That boy would be first on my cull list.
So I'm at the hospital & they only let 1 family member in a day for 2 hrs. But they let my sister go with Mom since she is deaf. I'll get to go in tomorrow.
My best wishes for your father, you, and your family.

Finished the mowing today and did most of the edge trimming. Everything I planted yesterday seems to have taken well. I'm not sure we'll have much in the way of peppers this year, it's just stayed too chilly and wet. Really disappointed but we'll see, maybe it'll warm up.

For now, I’m just watering 2x a day. This my first time growing a garden and one thing I should have done was made note of what was planted where. I know the rows but not what’s on each row. Looks like something may be sprouting

Attachments

• 513EDFD5-3571-4C97-8023-E44A53AD7CE5.jpeg
    513EDFD5-3571-4C97-8023-E44A53AD7CE5.jpeg
    827.5 KB · Views: 1
Hi everybody. It’s Tuesday already. Nearly hump day. My partner and I live in western Montana. I wish it was more rural but we are in a good place. We are on about 2/3 of an acre, with less than half of it fenced in.

Today was the first dry day in a while. We are starting to dry out; once summer really starts things will dry out and start to burn. Then smoke. At least it makes the sunsets their own kind of beautiful.

Herbs/flowers by the side of the house are really liking the cooler temps and damp weather. (Size 11 shoe for scale) None of the transplanted garden plants have croaked or wilted. I sprayed one of our apple trees with copper concentrate as it has an issue that needs dealing with. I also hopped on top of the coop to look at where the run is going. I was also gifted some concord/reliance/mystery grapes from the guy who runs the community garden.

I did stop by the community garden to start weeding out our plots that we have there…my work is cut out for me. I feel bad as I am usually very active down there, but I don’t seem to have the energy between my job, the house, and the community garden. It’s a bummer because it’s an amazing resource for a lot of people and is really a unique and beautiful place when it has some work put into it.

All the best.

Attachments

• 260E87BF-D8DA-4A1D-9A51-7A13D8FCF415.jpeg
    260E87BF-D8DA-4A1D-9A51-7A13D8FCF415.jpeg
    926 KB · Views: 1
  • 1549585A-FE0C-461C-960F-B4CFB2E931DE.jpeg
    1549585A-FE0C-461C-960F-B4CFB2E931DE.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • 08D23D66-AC4F-4BAD-A2D3-717774D168C9.jpeg
    08D23D66-AC4F-4BAD-A2D3-717774D168C9.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • D52AA9C8-C05B-4FC6-91BC-0116AB326BB6.jpeg
    D52AA9C8-C05B-4FC6-91BC-0116AB326BB6.jpeg
    945 KB · Views: 1
Ok fellow gardeners who like to experiment.....I have a challenge for you! I was thinking yesterday about building a self-watering strawberry tower. I started doing some YouTube searches today and came across this kid building a strawberry tower from an old rain barrel.

Anyway, his use of compost got me thinking. A self-watering tower could be difficult in a vertical space because of gravity in this type of arrangement because the strawberries at the bottom will be wetter than those at the top so I was racking my brain trying to figure out a way to have uniform moisture from top to bottom. My answer? Hügelkultur.... The idea behind this gardening technique is that the logs/wood acts like a sponge. The soil wicks the water from the wood. Soooo.....I was wondering if maybe I could build it like this....

Use an old plastic rain barrel like the boy did to stagger holes all the way around for the strawberry plants. Inside the barrel, I'd place a circular "basket" of hardware cloth. Inside the basket, I'd fill it with logs, wood chips, etc. The basket serves to hold the wood in place in the center of the barrel. Then I'd put soil/compost in the "donut" area. Watering the tower would consist of wetting down the wood in the inner basket really well.

Thoughts? Opinions? Did I explain it well enough? I just have to figure out where to get an old plastic barrel like that....
I absolutely love using a wood layer as the base of about anything I plant. Everything seems to love it and my gardens prone to sprouting random mushrooms...lol.

Your idea sounds a lot like a keyhole garden in a container with wood where keyholes normally have compost, and compost where keyholes normally have dirt?

I think it could work well. I use wood at the bottom of my garden beds, planters etc. It makes a great aerated base even with a water reservoir. Have you considered doing a wood layer all across the base of your planter with a drainage hole just below the top of your wood layer to create a water reservoir? The wood going just higher then the water reservoir becomes a wick. Also...what if you replaced the hardware cloth with sticks to create a center ring? If the sticks extend to the bottom of your barrel...they could also wick water upwards. Then you could fill the center of the stick ring with compost that you renew as you go, and the donut area could be filled with regular dirt.

Not sure if I explained that well enough for you to visualize!

I like your idea though! Hope you try it and keep us posted on how it goes!

I absolutely love using a wood layer as the base of about anything I plant. Everything seems to love it and my gardens prone to sprouting random mushrooms...lol.

Your idea sounds a lot like a keyhole garden in a container with wood where keyholes normally have compost, and compost where keyholes normally have dirt?

I think it could work well. I use wood at the bottom of my garden beds, planters etc. It makes a great aerated base even with a water reservoir. Have you considered doing a wood layer all across the base of your planter with a drainage hole just below the top of your wood layer to create a water reservoir? The wood going just higher then the water reservoir becomes a wick. Also...what if you replaced the hardware cloth with sticks to create a center ring? If the sticks extend to the bottom of your barrel...they could also wick water upwards. Then you could fill the center of the stick ring with compost that you renew as you go, and the donut area could be filled with regular dirt.

Not sure if I explained that well enough for you to visualize!

I like your idea though! Hope you try it and keep us posted on how it goes!
I like the ideas.... Especially with not putting drainage holes in the bottom and instead on the side to create a water reservoir in the bottom... I actually do this with some of my big planters.

I also like the stick idea. We've had 2 downed trees we've been trying to cut up for firewood. I should be able to salvage some usable branches from them that would work. The hard part might be getting them to stand up and stay up so I can fill around them. I have lots of baling twine which is NOT biodegradable though... I might have some cotton rope too which might work better. I'll have to check.

First I have to find a barrel....

Good morning gardeners. I’ve given the grass and shade garden water, now have the hose on the fruit trees so they get an extra sip before the heat slams us. I’m going to give a few other small things an extra sip as well if I have time before work. At the fruit trees look ok in the morning and are only wilted in the heat of the day.

Back
Top Bottom