What did you do in the garden today?

I HAD 20+ chickens and I did lose count but the hawks went for ALL of our favorites. There are a couple of young roosters that I'll need to rehome that I wouldn't have minded nature doing the hard part for me, but no, they always seem to go for the family favorites. 😑 I know they're just doing what nature does but they could at least help me out. lol
I understand. My DH shakes his head and calls me a bleeding heart but I can't really fault predators for just trying to survive. Plus we TECHNICALLY live in the city limits so we can't exactly start shooting with houses in the vicinity. Using bottle rockets (against the hawks) and live traps (against 4 legged thiefs) seems to be my best option.

I understand. My DH shakes his head and calls me a bleeding heart but I can't really fault predators for just trying to survive. Plus we TECHNICALLY live in the city limits so we can't exactly start shooting with houses in the vicinity. Using bottle rockets (against the hawks) and live traps (against 4 legged thiefs) seems to be my best option.
Have you heard of gel guns? Apparently they actually make harder bullets, but you can also freeze the Orbeez. They really do hurt regardless, especially if under 20’. The guns are supposed to shoot up to 100’.
It’s no mess (except a possible dead bird), and quiet.

Ill have to try that pearbutter, now that sounds good.
yes on the Tilapia pond, ultimately Ill be raising them for food, sell the fry too for some 'self sustainment money'. what they make me goes into their food upkeep gardening stuff bla bla, PLUS, eating too of course.

The tilapia pond will also have a rather large grow out bed as well where I can grow veggies in / at. I already have a potential customer who told me if I can grow,Long leaf Basil ?? I think it was, he'd buy as much as I could get, plus there are a few other local restaurants who'd love fresh local herbs / spices so I kind of have a market there already too.

Right now it's just getting it UP and running. Been getting jerked around a bit on it but hopefully the BS stops and I can get this thing going finally !!

Aaron

Have you heard of gel guns? Apparently they actually make harder bullets, but you can also freeze the Orbeez. They really do hurt regardless, especially if under 20’. The guns are supposed to shoot up to 100’.
It’s no mess (except a possible dead bird), and quiet.
I'll have to look into that

I'm going to grow the hell out of these things (Leelanau Sweetglo) next year. They're easily the most delicious watermelon I've ever tasted. It's like a watermelon, an orange and a mango had a 3-way tryst. It's not a seedless hybrid, I just got lucky and happened to slice it along a line where no seeds were.

20220906_220602[1].jpg

Ill have to try that pearbutter, now that sounds good.
yes on the Tilapia pond, ultimately Ill be raising them for food, sell the fry too for some 'self sustainment money'. what they make me goes into their food upkeep gardening stuff bla bla, PLUS, eating too of course.

The tilapia pond will also have a rather large grow out bed as well where I can grow veggies in / at. I already have a potential customer who told me if I can grow,Long leaf Basil ?? I think it was, he'd buy as much as I could get, plus there are a few other local restaurants who'd love fresh local herbs / spices so I kind of have a market there already too.

Right now it's just getting it UP and running. Been getting jerked around a bit on it but hopefully the BS stops and I can get this thing going finally !!

Aaron
I'd love to have some tilapia in my pond... We need to dig out our pond some more before we can do it though. We were told it was 8 ft deep. It's not... It's only about 4 ft. It does have bluegill in it. I honestly don't know how they survive given the extreme heat and drought we get every summer. My pond shrinks down so much and is loaded with turtles which compete for the oxygen. We want to get a solar powered aerator but haven't yet.

Back
Top Bottom