What did you do in the garden today?

I would have to be really tanked to eat Tilapia :sick
The store bought ones, yah I agree, the Chinese septic pond fish. BUT if you grew them yourself, knew their water was clean and they were fed good clean food then absolutely no problem eating them.

TBH I much rather eat the wild saltwater fish I catch but if Im growing them as a sustenance to my food, then these absolutely work.

Aaron

The store bought ones, yah I agree, the Chinese septic pond fish. BUT if you grew them yourself, knew their water was clean and they were fed good clean food then absolutely no problem eating them.

TBH I much rather eat the wild saltwater fish I catch but if Im growing them as a sustenance to my food, then these absolutely work.

Aaron
Do they taste different? I think it tastes like my garbage can smells on a hot summer day. Perfect description, Chinese septic pond fish :gig

Do they taste different? I think it tastes like my garbage can smells on a hot summer day. Perfect description, Chinese septic pond fish :gig
The White Nile Tilapia look different then the blue ones.
20200709_110555WHITETILAPIA-SQUARE_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Good morning gardeners. Finally into our warming trend. We are forecasted for about 10 days of warmer than average temps. I'm just guessing the January thaw arrived a bit early this year. I have not mentioned this before, but the property owners behind my plot have hired tree cutters to harvest the trees. It's been really noisy around here with the heavy machines that rip 80 year old trees out of the ground. I was really upset about the lost wildlife habitat and worried they were putting a subdivision in there. I spoke to one of the workers and he said they were only harvesting the trees then they will let the forest re-grow. What a relief. I do finally get to see the sunrise in the morning and the deer are enjoying the downed pine boughs. They also left the stand of trees where the wild turkeys spend their nights. I had a squirrel taking refuge in the chicken coop for about a week. I believe I found all the entrances as I haven't seen any traces of them for the last 2 weeks. They didn't bother the chickens or even eat the chicken food. It wanted a safe place to spend the night I guess. I need to spend a little extra time with my houseplants now. I noticed my little citrus tree was covered in tiny webs. This is the "Meyer Lemon" I thought that I've had for nearly 10 years now. It has fruited a few times but it never ripens like a lemon, so I expect it really is a lime tree. I cleaned it up and gave it a dish soap spray and it's looking perkier now. The rest of my plants that I brought inside for the winter are doing well but they do need some cleaning up now. I'll have to google the hican tree. I'm originally a southern girl and I grew up loving everything pecan. It would be amazing to have something really close to a pecan growing in my yard.

I have not mentioned this before, but the property owners behind my plot have hired tree cutters to harvest the trees. It's been really noisy around here with the heavy machines that rip 80 year old trees out of the ground. I was really upset about the lost wildlife habitat and worried they were putting a subdivision in there. I spoke to one of the workers and he said they were only harvesting the trees then they will let the forest re-grow. What a relief.
I get what you're saying, here, completely. When we moved to our place 23 years ago, it was rural - surrounded by farmland and groves of large, old oak trees. Just about every square foot has been developed now. -so sad.... -and folks are really upset when bobcats and coyotes come into their yards and neighborhoods (like they have anywhere else to go since their habitats have been destroyed.) Anyway, enough of my nature soapbox - it sounds like you will be busy in the garden! Enjoy the warm days!

I get what you're saying, here, completely. When we moved to our place 23 years ago, it was rural - surrounded by farmland and groves of large, old oak trees. Just about every square foot has been developed now. -so sad.... -and folks are really upset when bobcats and coyotes come into their yards and neighborhoods (like they have anywhere else to go since their habitats have been destroyed.) Anyway, enough of my nature soapbox - it sounds like you will be busy in the garden! Enjoy the warm days!
We already had the bobcats, coyotes, and occasional bears. Deer were not as visible but I’m looking forward to seeing them more often. Of course we also have raccoons, Fishers, etc. I love them all, however the Fishers do creep me out. For the most part they stay out of my yard, chicken yard and the gardens. It’s all part of living semi rural. About 1/8 acre of my property is wooded and I leave that for the wild things to have a safe spot to rest. Going on 5 years with no problems from my woodland neighbors. My 2 legged neighbors are a different story altogether. Lol!

I went up to the green house and planted some seeds. I also threw out a dead mouse. Sorry, stay out of my green house, mouse!

I forgot to take up another peanut (what I use for bait in the snap trap), so I put 3 spinach seeds in it. We'll see if that gets any interest, if another one gets in.

I planted more spinach (the one plant left is still going, despite the cold we had), two kinds of kale, and three kinds of lettuce.

I looked up ideal germination temps for various things. Also listed was a "minimum" temp. Lettuce will germinate (slowly) at 35 F! Spinach and kale minimums were 40 F, IIRC. We'll see what we get. It's supposed to be mid-upper 40s for the next week. If we get any sunshine, it'll get nice and warm in there.

The totes of water were about 25% frozen. So it got plenty cold in there during our blizzard.

Back
Top Bottom