What did you do in the garden today?

My trees arrived yesterday. I believe there are 15 of them. What on earth was I thinking? The instructions say that they should be planted right away. I'm totally incapable of processing that information when I look out the window! (still more than a foot of snow on the ground.) The best idea I can come up with is to buy an other bale of Pro-Mix, and pot them up. I have 2 huge mountains of slash, that are still buried under snow that need to be burned before I can even think about planting those trees. If the weather had cooperated last fall, we could have burned last fall...
lau.gif
Been there done that!!!!! lol NEver again, once was lesson enough. lol I feel for you. THe pain. THe torture.

Heel them in until you can get to them.

Can't heel them in. The frost is still 6' deep!

Keep them cool so they stay dormant . My brother had a fall shipment that arrived after freeze up . He kept them in his unheated garage unopened all winter . Opened them up and planted them this spring . They were in good shape . I found it hard to believe . I have kept 50 Chickasaw plum seedlings in a spare refrigerator since early Feb. when they arrived . Going to plant them tomorrow .

Last edited:
I'm getting excited to finally get the garden space cleared out tomorrow! We're planning on burning the brush off and then clearing out the remaining sparse grass. If all goes well, we should have an open space for the garden by early afternoon!

When do you guys transplant? It's more than warm enough here in Florida and we started the seeds three weeks ago, but they starts just don't seem big enough. We are going to add a bit of fertilizer to the small cups we have them started in tonight.

I'm also concerned about our neighbor's free-range chickens killing them. They are working on building them an enclosed area, but in the meantime they range all across our lots.

What are you transplanting out? Most things can be planted pnce they have four true leaves on them. If you set your seedlings out in the sun during the day they'll grow faster. Up-potting will also give them a boost.

I'm in northern oklahoma and already have tomatoes in the ground.

Good to know. Most of the plants only have 1-2 true leaves so far, with my tomatoes and peppers behind the curve with no true leaves yet.

This is why we can't move the plants outside during the day, we have too many. Perhaps we should invest in a few UV lights.

Fire time!

This is all of the stuff we burned off today. Enough wood and debris for a fire 6ft tall and 10x50ft long.

This is what's left.

My inner pyromaniac had fun today. And now we have a clear garden space!

Back
Top Bottom