What did you do in the garden today?

Slug Dough:
1 pkg of yeast
1/4 c sugar
2 t salt
4 c flour
Mix let sit while you prep milk jugs with quarter size holes, bury into ground just above the first hole. Strange stuff came up when I Goggled slug dough Southerns really eat slug burgers?

Just a guess but it seems like slugs are attracted to the sent of yeast... Opens up a few ways to make traps... Wonder if sour dough started would work, I have silly amounts of that and using it frequently keep the culture extra bubbly...

So jealous of you all that are already getting goodies out of your gardens. We planted seedlings on 26 April and so far all we've gotten are two jalapenos and about 2lbs of green beans. I sooooo want tomatoes and okra and things.

So jealous of you all that are already getting goodies out of your gardens. We planted seedlings on 26 April and so far all we've gotten are two jalapenos and about 2lbs of green beans. I sooooo want tomatoes and okra and things.

You aren't alone. The only things we've been able to harvest to date is asparagus and rhubarb. We live in the North and have had an unusually wet and cool spring/summer. Come the end of July and August we will (hopefully!) have an abundance and then crazy canning season will begin!

Oh, and strawberries. However, the birds have gotten every single ripe one. Next year we are expanding the strawberries and covering them!

Last edited:
You aren't alone. The only things we've been able to harvest to date is asparagus and rhubarb. We live in the North and have had an unusually wet and cool spring/summer. Come the end of July and August we will (hopefully!) have an abundance and then crazy canning season will begin!

Oh, and strawberries. However, the birds have gotten every single ripe one. Next year we are expanding the strawberries and covering them!

We'll be attempting some canning also! I hear you on the strawberries. We have 5 plants and so far the wild birds have gotten every single berry out there along with all of our blueberries, blackberries and raspberries. We are berry poor at the moment.

We're going to have to net a huge area. The previous owners left us three strawberry beds, two huge raspberries rows, a row of grapevines, and a row of blueberries. Any idea where is the cheapest place to buy good netting?

Update on the garden:
- Corn (5 rows sweetyellow, 5 rows sweet white) 1-4 feet tall
- Tomatoes - (Romas, Green, Slice and Sauce) blooming
- Zucchini - about 1 week out for first fruits
- Strawberries - producing about 2 dozen a week
- Lettuce - about 1-2 grocery bags full a week
- Squash - two weeks out
- Pumpkins - Huge plants, no blossoms yet
- Cucumbers - Just getting really going
- Snow Peas - Just starting to produce
- Bush Beans - flowering
- Pole Beans - flowering and just starting to climb
- Hot Peppers (3 kinds) - putting off fruit and ready to pick in a few days
- Sweet Peppers - a little behind
- Cantaloupes - slow start
- Sunflowers - (5 random varieties) about a foot tall
- Cauliflower - picking it today
- Spinach - doing marginal but ok

Today is weed control day and plant inspection. How about y'all?

Another rainy day . As of yesterday this is the second wettest June on record . Only 1 inch away from the wettest . I think we may break that record .

Back
Top Bottom