What did you do in the garden today?

Weeding is a daily task, which is mildly off putting to my family. I am in the military and they kind of have a hard time with Daddy getting home, immediately changing clothes and going out to the garden to decompress. We had an absolute boat load of some trees, thinking elm and sweet gum, seeds in the soil and I have been picking them out daily for about 2 months now.

Peas are doing amazing, can get green pods off now and will start having actual peas soon. Strawberries apparently do not know this is their first spring, my lord the amount of strawberries they are putting off. My oldest is loving the increasing supply of strawberries. Blueberries are doing great, as best I can tell. This is our first year doing blueberries so we are excited. The lemon is doing well, just needs to put on some more leaves, poor thing had a rough winter.

Next project is rain catchment, already have a collapsible rain barrel but it is filled with a nasty amount of pollen. After that is it slowly building/installing more raised beds and moving into the beds instead of the bags.

Looking forward to "cheating" some more and using the bottoms of the store bought celery and onions to propagate more. Such a simple thing but after awhile it will save a good bit, already have 2 celery and 1 onion going.

Time to get back to work. Best of luck in your gardens.

Weeding is a daily task, which is mildly off putting to my family. I am in the military and they kind of have a hard time with Daddy getting home, immediately changing clothes and going out to the garden to decompress. We had an absolute boat load of some trees, thinking elm and sweet gum, seeds in the soil and I have been picking them out daily for about 2 months now.

Peas are doing amazing, can get green pods off now and will start having actual peas soon. Strawberries apparently do not know this is their first spring, my lord the amount of strawberries they are putting off. My oldest is loving the increasing supply of strawberries. Blueberries are doing great, as best I can tell. This is our first year doing blueberries so we are excited. The lemon is doing well, just needs to put on some more leaves, poor thing had a rough winter.

Next project is rain catchment, already have a collapsible rain barrel but it is filled with a nasty amount of pollen. After that is it slowly building/installing more raised beds and moving into the beds instead of the bags.

Looking forward to "cheating" some more and using the bottoms of the store bought celery and onions to propagate more. Such a simple thing but after awhile it will save a good bit, already have 2 celery and 1 onion going.

Time to get back to work. Best of luck in your gardens.

We have also been "cheating" with our onions. I thought the prices for onion starters was crazy. I hear they were a mole deterrent-I don't really know that it works, but our gardens are surrounded with onions and garlic. So far our plants have kept their roots this year.

Our crazy dog likes to eat freshly planted items. We put a fence up around the food garden, mainly to keep rabbits and deer out, but realized our dog is a little weird. . .she ate a young blueberry plant and a fig plant. Most recently she nabbed and destroyed a whole African Daisy plant that I had just put in for my mother-in-law. Grrr. At least that plant was only 50 cents.

Picked up some blackberries on Tuesday and have been trying to figure out where we are going to put them. They may stay potted until we get the apple trees planted and then they can go in between the trees. Please chime in and let me know if that is a terrible idea, the trees will be dwarf. Aside from that it is basic daily maintenance with some harvesting of the strawberries.

Cold weather is sure to visit us again.....so we built a small hoop style green house 4 x 12 feet to house the 8 week tomato transplants. These are small determinant types that can manage in a small space without being overly crowded. At least that is the plan. lol

Repotted each in to one Walmart reuseable shopping bag at 50 cents each , filled with a mix of half soil and half compost. Praying for a few warmish nights as the plants acclimate and open the ends to keep the temps from climbing more than the 65-70 they experienced in our bathroom/mini green house.

Fingers crossed.

Cold weather is sure to visit us again.....so we built a small hoop style green house 4 x 12 feet to house the 8 week tomato transplants. These are small determinant types that can manage in a small space without being overly crowded. At least that is the plan. lol

Repotted each in to one Walmart reuseable shopping bag at 50 cents each , filled with a mix of half soil and half compost. Praying for a few warmish nights as the plants acclimate and open the ends to keep the temps from climbing more than the 65-70 they experienced in our bathroom/mini green house.

Fingers crossed.
You should post your "grow bags" on the frugal site. I used an old tarp style feed bag for the same purpose last season. By the end of the summer, it had broken down. But, not bad for re-purposing a plastic bag that was destined for the land fill anyways!

Last edited:
Does anyone have any experience with white sage? I am planting an herb garden (it is for kitchen use). The plan I am following calls for purple sage but I cannot find purple sage anywhere, looks like an arid plant so perhaps it is not good local. I found common sage, and I can plant that, but we have white sage growing wild here in the pasture. It looks like white sage is mostly ornamental. Has anyone grown it? Used it in cooking?

Does anyone have any experience with white sage? I am planting an herb garden (it is for kitchen use). The plan I am following calls for purple sage but I cannot find purple sage anywhere, looks like an arid plant so perhaps it is not good local. I found common sage, and I can plant that, but we have white sage growing wild here in the pasture. It looks like white sage is mostly ornamental. Has anyone grown it? Used it in cooking?

I agree with @lazy gardener. I think white sage is a Native American herb and used for smudge sticks (one use anyway). Common sage is usually used in cooking, herbal teas, etc. I'm not an expert, so perhaps the herbs are interchangeable. Keep us posted on what you learn!

Back
Top Bottom