What did you do in the garden today?

Beautiful sunny morning here today with just a few clouds and I had just done the first yard walk-through when DP noted that the barometric pressure was going down. Abandoned the garden work for fishing! Our last few fishing trips had been skunk-fests so we were both anxious to actually catch something. Went pretty well, more small perch for planting holes and a few bigger ones for eating.

When we got back I bit the bullet and mixed the 4 week and 2 week old chicks all together and no one picked on anyone else. I'll keep putting the babies in the brooder with the older kids in the coop at night but I think we've turned the corner and the whole lot are about integrated. Some warmer days would be welcome though.

Abandoned the garden work for fishing! Our last few fishing trips had been skunk-fests so we were both anxious to actually catch something. Went pretty well, more small perch for planting holes and a few bigger ones for eating.

Hooray for fishing! So stoked for you!! We haven't been able to do so since the virus hit. Praying restrictions are lifted as we like to fish at our local lake: http://www.lakecuyamaca.org/.

🎣 :love🐟

Hooray for fishing! So stoked for you!! We haven't been able to do so since the virus hit. Praying restrictions are lifted as we like to fish at our local lake: http://www.lakecuyamaca.org/.

🎣 :love🐟
We love fishing, it's a good part of the reason we moved here, 4 blocks from a great fishing lake. There're bass (caught a couple 6.5 to 7 lb ones last year), perch, bluegill, trout, salmon, and crappie. Most of the perch are too small but since they're considered invasive, we either feed them to the herons and ospreys, or use them as fertilizer in the garden. The big ones we eat :).

I will keep you posted. I'm hoping they pull through this week. Mother nature decided to throw a curve ball at us with one final frost coming on Friday night. I'm not really equipped to cover the plants. The raised beds are very warm, so I'm hoping the soil temps keep the plants from getting damaged. I could mulch around them a bit with wood chips (I ordered 10 yds so I could spare a little on the pepper bed). I might end up rigging a mini hot house though with some clear plastic and rebar or something as arched supports.
That's what I did for my peppers when we had several days of hard freezes. They made it through the first week but finally succumbed the last day of hard freezing temps the second week. So I think they should be good for you with a mini hot house made from clear plastic and whatever!

Got an email that says my bees will be ready for me to pick up on Thursday!!!
Spent this morning moving more chain link fence. I think I have about 40 or 50 feet left to go and then the dog yard should be puppy escape proof!
I think I got into some more poison ivy though. :( :hit:he
I even came in and changed all my clothes and washed my face, hands and arms with Dawn, but I am noticing a spot right at the corner of my right eye that has that itchy tingle that says some oils probably soaked in there before I washed ( or else I managed to miss that spot).
Being that close to my eye I may have to get on a steroid. It's way to close to my eye for any topical medications.
Hubby got part of the raised bed moved into place but then we had to stop working because of the rains.

Well hello gardeners. This past Sunday I tilled both of my gardens. I usually plant first week of June here in New Brunswick. Then the ground will be warm enough. I reopened the second plot for potatoes this year. The picture without the electric fence posts. I use Troy Built 8hp tiller.

Attachments

• 8A6D986D-47EF-42D4-BD02-B85C0D194945.jpeg
    8A6D986D-47EF-42D4-BD02-B85C0D194945.jpeg
    961.9 KB · Views: 7
  • EB6191ED-F70A-4A64-8990-47F9E06E6C08.jpeg
    EB6191ED-F70A-4A64-8990-47F9E06E6C08.jpeg
    852.6 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom