What did you do in the garden today?

My peas are growing but I need to space them out a bit and fill in the patchy spots before I fence them in.
970FEC95-F0BD-43E5-9925-02917E747FA8.jpeg

Oh, almost forgot. Picking up 100 bales of hay tomorrow. One of the most hated chores each year.... No one is going to be happy tomorrow in my household. šŸ˜‚
Our family feels the same way about hay day. My ma actually just stopped by earlier to ask if I was ready for it and I said ā€œHell yeahā€ā€¦but in my mind Iā€™m thinking šŸ¤¬ itā€™s going to be hot that dayā€¦I just know it.

Square bales? We did 20 today, maybe getting 85 picked up tomorrow. No fun.
Yep.... A hundred and five square bales, to be exact, that weigh 60 lbs each. And I'll probably have to buy more in the fall to make up for whatever I feed the goats over the summer. I do let them out in the pasture 3-4x per week to eat fresh greens but between them and the chickens their pen is a dry lot. Nothing green growing in there despite my best efforts so they get free choice hay year round.

I found a duck(?) egg in a pile of dirt today šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø It was a bit bigger than a chicken egg and had a greenish tint. Hubs did the float test and it stayed down. He didnt put it into the incubator but did put it into the compost pile at least. Weird thing is, I've never seen any ducks around the house. There are a couple wild ones that live in the creek across a ways though. There were tons of ants and a weird spider in the pile too but nothing seemed to be bothering the egg.

as some snakes lay eggs I would break any egg of unknown origins before putting it into the compost pile.

Nothing is worse than hay day! To this day I both love the smell of hay & cry when I smell it. :gig

I think next year I may turn my cattle panel beds into hoop house for squash, I can just throw netting over the 2 beds. Thanks for the idea @TJAnonymous. Of course I know you've been talking about it, but it just hit me. :gig I wonder if I could still get netting on mine...I see no bugs yet šŸ¤”

I do believe I have my first broody. I have had lots of chickens over the last 5 years or so but no one has ever gone broody. She's so cute all fluffy & insane. šŸ¤­:lau

Last edited:
Nothing is worse than hay day! To this day I both love the smell of hay & cry when I smell it. :gig

I think next year I may turn my cattle panel beds into hoop house for squash, I can just throw netting over the 2 beds. Thanks for the idea @TJAnonymous. Of course I know you've been talking about it, but it just hit me. :gig I wonder if I could still get netting on mine...I see no bugs yet šŸ¤”

I do believe I have my first broody. I have lots of chickens over the last 5 years or so but no one has ever gone broody. She's so cute all fluffy & insane. šŸ¤­:lau
:lau That is the most perfect description of a broody I have ever read!

I have no idea how long I keep tossing her out of the nest & give up & put her in a crate. She seems pretty dang serious at this point, she keeps running back to the nest.

I ordered 2 things of bug netting for the 2 hoop beds. I think I'm still early enough. I'm excited to hold back the bugs for a while! Both on the cukes & the squash.

I have no idea how long I keep tossing her out of the nest & give up & put her in a crate. She seems pretty dang serious at this point, she keeps running back to the nest.

I ordered 2 things of bug netting for the 2 hoop beds. I think I'm still early enough. I'm excited to hold back the bugs for a while! Both on the cukes & the squash.
I might try that hoop house too. I have the cattle panels already and the bug damage this year has been awful.

I doubt I'll have time to set it up until around September...but that's when I get to start planting my annual veggies anyhow.

Back
Top Bottom