What did you do in the garden today?

I actually up potted about 40 of the 64 +++ greens as of this morning. Mostly greens and then a potful of calendula all in one beautiful red glazed pot with attached saucer (that I never used at Christmas as intended).
IMG_20230119_074217752_HDR.jpg

I have 3 nylon mesh bags that I use to drain my yogurt. Very tight mesh needed for that.

I need to look online for a dozen more. I could use them for bagging the produce I buy in the store, and not use the plastic ones from the store.
I found the bags I'll be using at harris seeds. They have a good selection of mesh bags.

https://www.harrisseeds.com

I ordered delivery from Walmart for groceries yesterday because

1. I HATE going into Walmart
2. It was pouring
3. I was uber busy at work

I ordered some romaine lettuce for the bunny. What they delivered was beyond pathetic and infested with spiders. I need to put together a tub and start growing my own indoors. Ridiculous what they deliver as edible these days.

compost piles need some lovin too !!
turn them over won't hurt a bit and even makes them better in the spring.
besides, we make compost year round and can't have that just sitting in the kitchen can we? so GARDENING IT IS !!!!!

Aaron
My chickens turn my compost for me and (generally) lower the grub count.... 😂

I ordered delivery from Walmart for groceries yesterday because

1. I HATE going into Walmart
2. It was pouring
3. I was uber busy at work

I ordered some romaine lettuce for the bunny. What they delivered was beyond pathetic and infested with spiders. I need to put together a tub and start growing my own indoors. Ridiculous what they deliver as edible these days.
This is business as usual.

If it was in the store, it'd sit on the counter until it rotted and then they'd be forced to throw it in the trash.

BUT, since you are too lazy to go do your own shopping (in their POV) let's give it to you, because you are probably going to be too lazy to come in to complain about it, and I won't have to throw it away then. If you do complain, we make it difficult for you, to discourage you from complaining in the future, plus it employ's a few other dirt bags to handle the complaints.

IF you must have fresh stuff delivered, goto one of the more local stores that kind of specialize in 'food' like the IGA's and the likes. Getting fresh food from walmart is like talking to the prostitutes about virginity....NOT the best choice for quality.

Remember, your order is probably being handled by some worthless Z's who barely have time to look up from their phone, let alone care about the quality of your order, or even have a clue... about what's good food quality and what's not good.

Aaron

Also, growing your own romaine is easy peazy TBH.
The big thing is you have to remember to keep harvesting it. If you let it get 'big' then it gets bitter, so keep snipping the leaves and using them! This goes for pretty much all the lettuce and like types of plants.

If it's indoors no problem if it's outdoors, the girls will want it to so keep a broom handy :)

Aaron

went to use the gator this morning as we got ice and snow and my knee ached. I thought I'd make the morning livestock chores easier, if not faster.
Got the gator stuck in the snow, on the ice, on the hill. (I failed to put the snow treads on her this year)
Finished animals by hand.
Walked up the hill on the snow and ice to get the tractor, dug out the gator, hooked up tractor, made it 30 feet before tractor got stuck.
Unhooked it all, dug out tractor and managed to not hit gator, fence or coop, and got tractor up the hill. It's too light for the ice, went to get SUV....see where this is going?

SUV got stuck in snow drift, on the ice on the hill....Dug out SUV, placed the tiger claws under tires plus grit, nope. Dug her out, reset it all, nope. Called DH on verge of tears. 90 minutes in, I'm cold, not had breakfast or water, and am exhausted. The vehicle being towed needs to be driven to make it up the ice.

He drives home from the city. I feel like a moron for underestimating the insane amount of ice we got and the wet snow on top of it, and dig out a 12 feet wide path to the top of the hill. He gets home and we tractor up the gator again and drive them up the hill.

My truck is still down there, but I needed food after 2 hours of cold, hard on your body, lungs, and soul.

Unfriggenbelievable. I HATE winter.

Move to Florida.
I tell you, that bitter Chicago cold is one thing I do NOT miss one friggin bit. Nor the snow and all the shovelling and wrapping towels / sheets / anything you can find around your face so you can breathe without damaging your lungs when it's -30 F and colder outside with the wind howling and you have to walk a mile to school etc etc. When I joined the navy, I went to great mistakes for boot camp, in december, to find myself marching in that crap for hours a day... yah.. I'll take southern climate over northern any day and deal with the 'canes as they swing by.

Then about an hour later your frozen snot finally starts thawing off your face and drip, drip, snort, drip...

Aaron

Back
Top Bottom