What did you do in the garden today?

I spent most of the day outside. Sunny and low 60s. Beautiful day! I fertilized all the fruit trees and berries today. Did a little pruning on the peaches and apple tree. I also started seeds today - 6 varieties of tomatoes, ground cherries, goji berries, sesame, and flax plants. In 2 weeks, I'll start squash, melons, etc...all the big stuff. Allergies are driving me crazy now. Hoping to get started on permanent fixes to the hoop house tomorrow after church.

Hey y'all, it's been a while since I posted in this thread. Spring's finally starting to make a (minor) comeback here, and it sure is about time.

Just picked up some onion seeds from the store yesterday. Seeing all the garden supplies gives me hope for the warm weather. I plan to start sowing the first seeds of the year tomorrow-ish. I can't wait to see the light at the end of the tunnel after a long and chilly winter. :wee

Good evening gardeners. The shade garden is now fully wrapped and ready for plants. One of the auto waterers wasn’t working so I worked on that, and knocked over all the sugarcane. I never did anything with that and I’m dumping it in the compost bin tomorrow. The lemongrass kicked the bucket so I’ll dig that up too. I need to make a few cages for a few plants and I decided to dig out one of the Vitex and put the new one in a different spot. I think the existing is too close to the apricot tree and they’ll compete and cross branches. My turn for a shower :frow

The only thing I did in the garden today was watch hubby relocate the dirt from a raised bed to a more permanent raised bed. I'm stuck on light duty restrictions. *much grumbling* I also tracked down my seed starting tray that was outside when a wind storm hit. Half of it was in the neighbor's yard, and hubby retrieved it for me.

Biggest thing today? I walked down our little side street a bit. Last time I did that I counted three houses that had chickens, late last fall. Today.... they're all gone. I'm the only one left. I'm also the only one with a completely covered run that the wild birds can't get into. Wild stuff out there.... just wild.

I planted some garlic in my raised bed and then recovered it with leaves.
I also rescheduled my trip to Arizona Now I’m going April 4th through the 13th.
I also put 23 eggs in the incubator. Cleaned out part of the large chicken coop and sold 2 half feed bags full of chicken poop to someone for their garden. They got some from me last year too.
Edited to add that I checked on my bee hive today too. Nothing but drawn comb in the top box ( was drawn out last year). There were bees getting the sugar slush I put in there last week. I didn’t check the bottom box because I was taking too long. Only saw about 100 bees so that has me concerned. Hopefully the sugar slush will e enough to get them through this last bit of winter and am more hoping that there is a Queen in the bottom box doing her queenly duty. 🤞🙏

Last edited:
@BReeder! people religiously (no pun intended) plant their potatoes here on Good Friday, not a day before.
Well, I'll be on a beach half way across the country on Good Friday this year. So I will either wait to get them in the ground until after Easter, or I'll plant them about a week before Easter. I'm leaning towards planting a week before.

Back
Top Bottom