What did you do in the garden today?

Thank you for sharing
Yes, cut the top off. Peel away leaves at the bottom to reveal the stem. Put it in water and it will root. That's how I started mine from 2 different tops. After they started growing, they began putting off suckers or pups. I simply pulled off the sucker/pup and put it in its own pot. I ended up with a total of 8 pineapple plants from 2 tops.

I've also been eyeballing this red pineapple.... I think I'm going to go ahead and get one. I currently have 5 or 6 regular pineapple plants growing. I moved them into 5 gallon buckets last fall and that seems to have made a difference. They have spread out a lot over the winter. Once they go back outdoors this spring, I feel confident that they might fruit this year.
One out of two of my pineapple plants has an actual fruit forming. It happened after I put calcium carbide on them. I didn't think it would work, since I washed most of the calcium carbide off when I did it. I found out I shouldn't have used so much water later after watching the fruiting video again.

Last edited:
I started looking at cherry trees on Stark Brothers and then stopped myself... No, no, no.... I don't NEED them and I really have no room. The only fruit tree I'm allowed to buy this year is a Granny Smith to replace the one that died in 2022. I wanted to replace it last year but no one was carrying them locally. If I can't find one this spring, I'll order it... My Pink Lady apple tree is already 3+ years old now and close to 8-9 ft tall. I have nothing to cross pollinate it with since my Granny Smith died.

I really want a Pomegranate too... I grew several from seeds really easily. However they haven't grown well year over year. It's like the growth dies over the winter so the root ball sends up new shoots each spring. Nothing ever seems to get over 18" in height. I dunno... Maybe I ought to just grow it indoors for a few years so I can baby it to a point where it can survive better over the winter outdoors?

I've also been eyeballing this red pineapple.... I think I'm going to go ahead and get one. I currently have 5 or 6 regular pineapple plants growing. I moved them into 5 gallon buckets last fall and that seems to have made a difference. They have spread out a lot over the winter. Once they go back outdoors this spring, I feel confident that they might fruit this year.

https://wellspringgardens.com/products/florida-special-pineapple-ananas-comosus

View attachment 3738009

I used to want to grow everything. after so many failures I decided to grow only what's suitable for my climate.

Does anyone know how to start a pineapple tree from a pineapple? I have the pineapple just no clue as to how to start it.
I cut my pineapple crown into 4 pieces and planted them, and they grew, but it took a long time for them to turn into a fruit size plant. However, this guy in the video said it will fruit faster if we quarter it and remove the center leaf. However, he did not present any scientific evidence, so I still think quartering it will take longer to fruit than planting a full crown because they will turn into full size plants before the quartered pieces.

I used to play in the pineapple fields when I was growing up, I saw workers planting whole crowns directly in soil rows covered with plastic and watered daily. If you plant them in soil without rooting them, you need to keep the soil moist at all times.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom