What did you do in the garden today?

I used to be able to eat raw Bell peppers and onions, until I turned 50. Nowadays they have to be cooked or I have indigestion
Something to keep in mind. Raw vegetables are generally more nutrient dense and higher in fiber and therefore require a little more work by your digestive system than cooked foods. If the vegetables are making you gassy, then they are likely doing good things for your body. If certain foods are giving you serious indigestion you should speak to your primary care provider.

Something to keep in mind. Raw vegetables are generally more nutrient dense and higher in fiber and therefore require a little more work by your digestive system than cooked foods. If the vegetables are making you gassy, then they are likely doing good things for your body. If certain foods are giving you serious indigestion you should speak to your primary care provider.
I eat raw cabbage, so delicious, no problems. Just green bell peppers upset the stomach. No gas thank goodness.

They are available at Farm and Fleet here - Tractor supply might have them. I have seen them at Menards before as well - check the stores with Burpee racks.
They weren't at Tractor Supply so I just ordered some on Amazon, they'll arrive Saturday. 😊
100+ Glass Gem Corn Seeds Non-GMO Popcorn Delicious Jewel-Toned, Glass-Like Kernels, Grown in USA. Rare! Ornamental and Edible! HARLEY SEEDS https://a.co/d/e8W9kb1

Waiting and waiting on an order from Gurneys. 2 roses, one rose hip rose. It is Day 8 of transit. Supposed to arrive tomorrow. Seems rather irresponsible to ship plants, in boxes, using a very slow transit method (FedEx ground). There is nothing express about it. Will they still be viable or even alive? I hope so.
🤞 I hate when they do that!
I took the weed whacker to the big garden yesterday and it is actually looking like a garden area again. Unfortunately I had a really bad allergic reaction to all the plant matter and dirt and whatever was flying in the air. Today I moved the extra arch from the slope to the grand daughters new garden. I also moved the butterfly chair over there as well.
I'm picking up some lattice tomorrow to define the space a little better. I'll take a picture when everything is set up. I'm still tossing dead wood into that garden bed that I raised the sides on. There's a lot of wood in there now. I may finished the base with partially decomposed compost to hurry things along. First time growing strawberries. I planted the crowns in hanging grow bags and they look fine. Not really growing all that much still. It is still on the cool side. The temperature is going down to 21F overnight tonight which I'm sure they will be fine, however the next overnight it could get down to 18F. Should I cover them? The planting instructions said they needed to cold stratify, but I'm wondering how cold is too cold for bare root strawberries?
My bare roots are going in this weekend & I will cover them for anything in the low 20s or below. They'd probably be fine, but I don't want to take a chance when I can easily throw a frost cover over them.

Speaking of, I got my strawberry GreenStalk ready to go - mixed up my own mix of soil & it's beautiful. My compost is gorgeous, only wish I was able to sift it. Oh well. My awesome DH set me up to do it all at waist hight & accommodate my weight limit. It was so fun to play in the dirt again!

My compost:
IMG_20240321_135110298_HDR.jpg

Home made potting mix:
IMG_20240321_134452846.jpg

GreenStalk ready for strawberries & then stacking:
IMG_20240321_145150326.jpg

Once that's done I'll get the next one ready for the onions. No clue when they're shipping, should be soon I would think.

They weren't at Tractor Supply so I just ordered some on Amazon, they'll arrive Saturday. 😊
100+ Glass Gem Corn Seeds Non-GMO Popcorn Delicious Jewel-Toned, Glass-Like Kernels, Grown in USA. Rare! Ornamental and Edible! HARLEY SEEDS https://a.co/d/e8W9kb1
I have tried growing the glass gems for several years now and they just don't grow for me. Hope you have better luck! I love the idea of them!

🤞 I hate when they do that!

My bare roots are going in this weekend & I will cover them for anything in the low 20s or below. They'd probably be fine, but I don't want to take a chance when I can easily throw a frost cover over them.

Speaking of, I got my strawberry GreenStalk ready to go - mixed up my own mix of soil & it's beautiful. My compost is gorgeous, only wish I was able to sift it. Oh well. My awesome DH set me up to do it all at waist hight & accommodate my weight limit. It was so fun to play in the dirt again!

My compost:
View attachment 3778008

Home made potting mix:
View attachment 3778009

GreenStalk ready for strawberries & then stacking:
View attachment 3778010

Once that's done I'll get the next one ready for the onions. No clue when they're shipping, should be soon I would think.
Very nice! I just planted my GreenStalks with strawberries as well! I planted mint in the bottom layer to help keep the rats and mice away at night. Hope it helps!

Planted cucumber, purple hull cow pea, and eggplant seeds yesterday since we are getting some good rain today.
Oh I love this time of year! I also planted cucumber, about 8 varieties lol. My hubby and I decided this year we are doing a "pickle-off." Which is best, Chicago, Boston, Pickling, etc.... adds a little excitement to our garden life. Also planted several eggplants varieties and a ton of squash varieties. Now the looooooong wait for them to germinate and sprout. Patience is a virtue I continue to strive for.

Very nice! I just planted my GreenStalks with strawberries as well! I planted mint in the bottom layer to help keep the rats and mice away at night. Hope it helps!
I always mingle lots of Marigolds with everything, like they are my living mulch. I get some pests but not nearly as much as I used to. I try to stay organic here. I seem to get those darn vine bugs that attack cucumbers or bugs going for my squash. Gardening is different just 100 miles south of where I grew up, weather patterns are different, too. I've got mint plants growing around the chicken coops. I hadn't thought to try some in the garden areas. I have a lovely Lavender & it has done well here, so I will definitely plant more. Any plants that help repel the gluttonous insects or rodents going for veggies are welcome here! Anyone having success with this method, please feel free to share what works for you. I love Any ideas of plants cooperating, benefitting eacother, providing synergy or repelling nasties in a healthy manner.

Last edited:
That's a great idea! My issues is chipmunks & squirrels. I was going to try insect netting to start & see how that works.

ETA: I usually use the plastic deer netting over the berries in the raised beds for the birds, will probably continue with that when they flower so the bees can get to them.

I eat raw cabbage, so delicious, no problems. Just green bell peppers upset the stomach. No gas thank goodness.
Sometimes I have trouble with raw cabbage but I’m thinking it’s because of age of the cabbage. I do love cabbage still. Raw cabbage and cucumbers are my biggest gas producers. But I live alone so that’s ok. I really prefer fresh raw vegetables over cooked but that’s not always possible during the winter months as often.

Back
Top Bottom