What did you do in the garden today?

my mother was drinking ACV in water daily and her doctor told her to drink it for 2 weeks than 1 week off. I don't know why as my mother didn't ask just took it for granted.
I probably make them peeved, but when a doctor says something, I at least want to know why. Give me the reason. At least we can look it up ourselves these days.

I know most docs want to prescribe some darn magic pill. The latest greatest so called medicine that the drug pushing pharmaceutical reps are toting. Oh, never mind about the side effects...We've got more pills to push for those. Some docs are great, but some really tick me off. You know who they are, they've got this "I Know It All, I'm Smart & You Must Do What I Say" attitude. Guess what, newsflash, you're not a God, you're human, just like the rest of us & ya know who knows my body best? Me!

I've had a few docs actually get angry because I did not take some darn pill I already knew didn't agree with me, or the radiation doc that blew a gasket because after cancer the 3rd time, I had surgeries to remove what kept coming back & remove what fed the cancer, instead of being his radiation Guinea Pig for 6 more months.

Sometimes you just gotta stand up & say, ya know what...this is My Life.

Last edited:
In the garden today...this morning was mighty cold, but at least no ice on the outside water bowl & the wind has finally died down. I scooped poop in the coops & spread 7 5-gallon buckets of manure before I had to leave for work. I will till it in after work. I am really hoping our nights dipping into the 20s or freezing are done! The Daffodils are still looking great despite the cold & wind...pretty hardy little flowers!

This thread is 12 years old. It has become a family event. Yes, we talk about gardening-when there is gardening to talk about. We also rejoice in new grandchildren, graduations and weddings. We mourn when we loose a member or a spouse. We commiserate when someone else is injured, ill or looses a cherished pet. We swear alongside our friends when a season of work is destroyed in a single storm. We swap seeds, offer advice, and share tips.
If the way this thread has evolved doesn't suit your needs, might I suggest you go to the main garden thread, start a new topic, and keep it solely on that topic.

Hey, I got my Amazon Glass Gem corn seeds!
(How cool do they look! Hope they'll be good popcorn)
Screenshot_20240326_094117_Amazon Shopping.jpg

They delivered the peanuts for boiling to the house (cajun style, DH & I Love boiled cajun peanuts!) but stuck the corn package in the mailbox down the road. So I will plant 3 types of corn this year. I'm starting the seeds indoors tonight after work.

100+ Glass Gem Corn Seeds Non-GMO Popcorn Delicious Jewel-Toned, Glass-Like Kernels, Grown in USA. Rare! Ornamental and Edible! HARLEY SEEDS https://a.co/d/j04diQK

I am so looking forward to planting them! The safe date here to plant outside is April 15th & after.

I hope mother nature cooperates. So far, it's been a very wet year! More rainy days coming this week But at least no Temps in the 20s.

Screenshot_20240326_090158_WBOC Weather.jpg

Question...I have 2 different areas I can plant corn. I will do rows so they can pollinate. One area is very ready, rich, composted soil. It happens to be near the adjacent farmed fields. There is flooding back there when we get lots of rain, like we've had this year. There is a part that doesn't flood, a very rich berm we've created, so I can plant there. Right now the greenest, low growing, delicious, chicken friendly weeds grow there naturally. 😋

My question is...I don't know if they'll plant their corn, or soy this year. The type of corn they do plant is geared for feed, we call it cow corn or horse corn. Does it matter if I plant my rows of corn near that type of corn? Or should I avoid that? Just curious if that has any effect with pollination?

I've only grown 1 type of sweet corn in the past, not near anyone else's corn.

My question is...I don't know if they'll plant their corn, or soy this year. The type of corn they do plant is geared for feed, we call it cow corn or horse corn. Does it matter if I plant my rows of corn near that type of corn? Or should I avoid that? Just curious if that has any effect with pollination?
If they plant corn, yes, it will most likely cross pollinate with yours.

I *think* for this year's harvest, you should be ok, but I'm not sure. The problem comes in when you want to save your seed for the next year.

Hey, I got my Amazon Glass Gem corn seeds!
(How cool do they look! Hope they'll be good popcorn)
View attachment 3782306

They delivered the peanuts for boiling to the house (cajun style, DH & I Love boiled cajun peanuts!) but stuck the corn package in the mailbox down the road. So I will plant 3 types of corn this year. I'm starting the seeds indoors tonight after work.

100+ Glass Gem Corn Seeds Non-GMO Popcorn Delicious Jewel-Toned, Glass-Like Kernels, Grown in USA. Rare! Ornamental and Edible! HARLEY SEEDS https://a.co/d/j04diQK

I am so looking forward to planting them! The safe date here to plant outside is April 15th & after.

I hope mother nature cooperates. So far, it's been a very wet year! More rainy days coming this week But at least no Temps in the 20s.

View attachment 3782296

Question...I have 2 different areas I can plant corn. I will do rows so they can pollinate. One area is very ready, rich, composted soil. It happens to be near the adjacent farmed fields. There is flooding back there when we get lots of rain, like we've had this year. There is a part that doesn't flood, a very rich berm we've created, so I can plant there. Right now the greenest, low growing, delicious, chicken friendly weeds grow there naturally. 😋

I've only grown 1 type of sweet corn in the past, not near anyone else's corn.
What did they have there last year?
If you don't know, look at the stubble field. If it shows almost nothing, it was soy, if you see stalk stubble, it was corn. It' alternates. Sometimes we switch to sorgum if it's going to be a dry year.

Back
Top Bottom