What did you do in the garden today?

IMG_5908.JPG
I dug dirt today. The stuff to the left of the fence.

The plan is to make a grape arbor there, and I needed to get ahead of the grass. The grape vines are just to the right of the fence. Since they were just planted last May, you can't even see them in this picture.

The plan had been to dig out the weeds by the grapes, and put spoiled hay there. Did that, then realized the grass was invading from outside the fence. We will put another set of posts out there, and some supports (TBD what) between the two areas.

Once I got digging, it was hard to stop and go dig the weeds that I had planned to dig. I did get a couple of buckets' worth for the chickens.

That's fair. I wouldn't shoot on public land without a permit. However my first instinct is "oh look, food!" 😂 We eat them here, but we shoot them on private land and shoot them because of the horses, cattle and goats that they make sick or kill if they get bit. We eat anything we shoot. We can't shoot ground squirrels, can't eat them and I'm not paying for lead free 223 to protect the big birds in the area. So we set up raptor perches and plant trees for them to hunt.
You have a reason for sure, I totally understand! I think it’s cool that you eat them and don’t just toss them in the bushes. I would try it, but I don’t have a clue how to clean and cook it.

Ah, you give me hope. That all just sounds lovely. We're supposed to have highs in the 50s and 60s and no rain till Tuesday so I should be able to get some work done outside. Buying a few 6packs of veg has also been a good impetus to get more of the beds cleaned up and ready for planting.
Funny how that happens :gigOnce I get a few things in there I find I’m much more motivated to get more done. Hoping for nice weather for you!

Can you grow sugar beets where you live @itsasmallfarm.
I almost posted the same thing earlier today, LOL. I dug into it and learned that they slice or chop the sugar beets up, boil in water to extract the sugar, add lime to remove impurities, then evaporate into sugar. Not sure what sugar beet syrup would taste like, though. Probably not much like molasses, which tastes great IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom