What did you do in the garden today?

Well, I've got the garden about 90% done... I got soil in the remaining raised beds. Seeded some St Johns Wort, Black Cumin, Zinnias, and more nasturtiums.

Also planted the new dahlia bulbs. I really wish the dahlias I planted last year had survived... They were so pretty... I'm not going to dig the new ones up this year. I'll over winter them in the soil. I only dug up the previous ones because the chickens decided to do a number on the bed they were in. The good news is that they can't get to the beds in the garden where I planted the new ones.

The friendly ones are usually roos at my house.
I hope not. I ordered all females of each kind, and one male of the Marans. Nobody is perfect, though, and mistakes do happen. We shall see as they grow!
I hear you on that. I’m only planting cool hardy plants now. I’m holding my breath my peach tree doesn’t blossom for another week and hoping it doesn’t get as cold overnight.
One of my peach trees is beginning to blossom, even though I TOLD it to hold off... I bought it last year, so it's small enough that I could cover it to protect it from the cold temps we are expecting soon.

I hope not. I ordered all females of each kind, and one male of the Marans. Nobody is perfect, though, and mistakes do happen. We shall see as they grow!

One of my peach trees is beginning to blossom, even though I TOLD it to hold off... I bought it last year, so it's small enough that I could cover it to protect it from the cold temps we are expecting soon.
Trees are like kids.... They never listen. 🙄

FWIW, both my peach trees AND my kids have somehow managed to survive their poor life choices so far so there's hope....

I am starting on a new adventure with sour dough. I like the idea of being self-sufficient. I watched a few sour dough videos on how to make the starter but decided to get a head start with this San Fransico style culture. I am having so much fun.......:wee
1713411422055.png

Yeah, shade does nothing when it’s 115 for days here. Glad you can wing it well!
Yeah that's brutal. We only get a week of 112+, usually. Knock on wood, hoping this year is more mild.

I can't stand sitting on the tractor with a mask on when it's that hot and I have tons of grading to do this summer.

Busy... moved some of my raised beds. Planted thyme and basil around tomatoes. Checking for worms and bugs daily and watering.
We are taking the next step in our homestead process...fruit trees. I am getting peach and pear from a local nursery.
Love to read about your gardens.View attachment 3803657View attachment 3803658
Your garden is so beautiful! Fruit trees are great! I look forward to seeing more!
G’morning all. Nothing much outside here today, job hunting and inside chores are on my agenda. Blah. The aloe is in bloom along with another succulent that I don’t remember the name of. So are the yellow bells

View attachment 3803739

Carolina jessamine is blooming too. Elvis is behind it, he was fibbing about some treat he found back there
View attachment 3803738

These are our temps for the next week. My weekend will be spent arranging things for maximum shade and getting the pool ready. Still too early for ice water, but some cool water in the afternoon will be appreciated
View attachment 3803737
Your weather reminds me that I spent two weeks on Blythe in the summer working between rows of hot solar panels. I about melted. Desert garden though! That's a pretty amazing challenge!
Yeah, I was looking at the Harvest Right. It's currently on sale for $2300 which is still pretty expensive. Might have to wait until the fall...or Black Friday. 😕
This is the one I'm thinking of getting. Possibly two medium units.
Oh yeah, the purslane has already sprouted! Two days! Wow....
It's a weed I tell you! A weed! 🤣

Anyway, on my lunch I got that new bed amended and couldn't help but plant some calendulas on it's edge by the walkway. Seeds for corn and bush beans go in tomorrow.
20240417_130144.jpg

Also my clover is starting to kinda fill in. Kinda.
20240417_130158.jpg

The pest pressure on my pumpkins is insane. One plant is already dead. One cucumber plant as well. Three other pumpkins have severe damage. I applied more neem this evening. Hopefully they start to outgrow the pest pressure as they establish. The race is on and I'm starting more seeds just in case. I think the mulch is part of my problem.

Well, I've got the garden about 90% done... I got soil in the remaining raised beds. Seeded some St Johns Wort, Black Cumin, Zinnias, and more nasturtiums.

Also planted the new dahlia bulbs. I really wish the dahlias I planted last year had survived... They were so pretty... I'm not going to dig the new ones up this year. I'll over winter them in the soil. I only dug up the previous ones because the chickens decided to do a number on the bed they were in. The good news is that they can't get to the beds in the garden where I planted the new ones.
If I don’t dig up my dahlias in fall, nothing would come up in spring, the frost kills the bulbs and they turn into mush 😬
Against pests, have you tried planting lavender and marigolds?! Their smell usually keeps many pests away

yeah, I was looking at the Harvest Right.
Yeah, I've seen them at TSC. Still can't justify the $$$$.
I just can't seem to pull the cord and jump
Same. I've looked into how much electricity they take (quite a bit) and how loud they are (quite a bit) and that keeps me from walking out of TSC with one of them.
My cherry trees need to hold off! I saw white showing in some blossoms yesterday. We have 4 nights out of the next 8 with 32-35 degree temps. We have 2 nights before that for them to open more and then pay the price. 😬

I haven't looked more closely at the blueberries yet...

Back
Top Bottom