What did you do in the garden today?

Our place is lined and up the walls with 1/2 inch welded wire. The mice fly through it no problem.
The snake has moved on to the barn. I no longer smell it in the coop, but I do in the barn. He can eat all the ground squirrels and mice he wants. I don't mind snakes. They just smell.
They do have an odd smell. Rodents & Red ants smell, too. Groundhog poop is very nasty. All are stinky! 🤢 🤮

My copilot A1 search bot said I can make and maintain a bread starter made with regular dry yeast and gave me a recipe. But the recipe doesn't make sense, since it says it takes 5 to 7 days before I can use it and that's how long it tastes without the yeast.
I have easy to understand instructions on creating and maintaining a sourdough starter. I can post them later today if you like? Were there instructions on the package of sourdough starter you bought?
We do too! About 1-2 years ago, Costco started to carry KA bread flour and AP flour in 10lb bags. We were happy! But, their whole wheat flour has a better taste than the main brands of wheat flour, that is why we started to buy it years ago.
I store whole wheat flour in the refrigerator. It keeps it from getting rancid. I keep the rye flour in the freezer.

Good morning all, I’m pooped. Dog park, shopping, made some ginger ale and got the bottles ready, and watered everything in the backyard including the grass. My heel hurts like hell so I’m relaxing with coffee and an ice pack.
I first read it as you went dog park shopping!

Do you have plantar fasciitis?

Speaking of pests... Last night I made up some Bordeaux Mix to spray the roses before this weekend's rain because they are really struggling with disease this year. Anyway, I noticed a new mound of giant red ants about 4 ft from my peach tree. Since it was all I had handy, I dumped a quarter cup of Bordeaux Mix (copper sulfate and hydrated lime) down the hole.

This morning - no ants. 😁

This is from my BHJ cookbook @cj2024.
IMG_6645.jpeg

IMG_6646.jpeg
IMG_6647.jpeg

I gave my garden a good watering this morning. Sunny skies and highs near 70 degrees are forecast for today. Things are looking pretty good in the garden so far.

I plan to pull out the weed eater this afternoon and trim the long grass from around the garden beds.

Horseradish is coming out of the ground in the metal drum planter. I tossed all my native columbine seeds in this bed. Can't tell if any are sprouting.
IMG_3815.JPG IMG_3816.JPG IMG_3817.JPG

The black currant bush is preparing to blossom. This bed also has poppy seeds scattered over it. Again, I can't tell if any of the small plants here are poppies...
IMG_3818.JPG IMG_3820.JPG

Free Merlot lettuce seeds from Baker Creek have done well so far. A row of Danver's half long carrots is planted next to the lettuce.
IMG_3822.JPG IMG_3825.JPG IMG_3821.JPG IMG_3826.JPG

The old carrot seeds (Nantes half longs) are starting to sprout.
IMG_3829.JPG IMG_3830.JPG IMG_3832.JPG

Left to right, foreground, self seeded flat leaf parsley along the walkway. Lavender, chives and crocosmia are next. Between the two wooden posts there's a curly leaf parsley plant that made it through the winter. Farther yet, a couple of tarragon plants, and in the rear, oregano, lemon balm and thyme.
IMG_3833.JPG

Bok choi...
IMG_3834.JPG IMG_3835.JPG

Onions and garlic...
IMG_3844.JPG IMG_3848.JPG

Red Russian kale...
IMG_3850.JPG IMG_3852.JPG

And horseradish planted close to the road as an ornamental.
IMG_3857.JPG IMG_3858.JPG

Back
Top Bottom